Which Linux Distro is Best for Dual Booting with Windows XP?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the conversation discusses various operating systems and their compatibility with different hardware. The speakers mention using multiple operating systems, such as Mandrake, Redhat, and Debian, and also mention the concerns surrounding the Fedora project and the use of iptables. They also touch on the technicalities of the poll and clarify that FreeBSD is not a Linux distribution.

Which do you prefer?

• FreeBSD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gentoo

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Red Hat

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Mandrake

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Debian

• Suse

• Slackware

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • TurboLinux

• Caldera

• Other

• Total voters
What do you use?

I personally dual boot with mandrake 9.1 and winxp

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
mandrake 7 and win98 :smile:

Redhat 9 and Winxp. Although now with redhat getting out of the consumer market and leaving only the Fedora project, which I heard some pretty bad reviews, I'm seriously considering debian.

Debian, specifically Sarge (testing) on a an old 333MHz box, dual-homed, with an rfc 1918 network behind it (where the rest of my machines are located) and running iptables. In front is Comcast's cable modem drop.

P.S. A small technical note about the poll...

FreeBSD is not a Linux distribution.

how about http://flightlinux.gsfc.nasa.gov/ [Broken] ?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between different Linux distributions?

The main difference between different Linux distributions is the package management system and the default software included. Each distribution also has its own community and support resources, which can vary in terms of size and helpfulness.

2. Which Linux distribution is the most beginner-friendly?

Ubuntu is often considered the most beginner-friendly Linux distribution due to its user-friendly interface and wide range of support resources. Other beginner-friendly options include Mint, Debian, and Fedora.

3. Which Linux distribution is best for gaming?

Due to its wide range of software compatibility, including support for Steam and other gaming platforms, Ubuntu is often considered the best Linux distribution for gaming. Other options include SteamOS and Manjaro.

4. Can I switch between Linux distributions without losing my data?

Yes, it is possible to switch between Linux distributions without losing your data. However, it is recommended to back up your important files before making the switch, as there is always a possibility of data loss during the installation process.

5. How do I choose the right Linux distribution for my needs?

Choosing the right Linux distribution depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some factors to consider include your level of technical expertise, preferred package management system, and desired software and hardware compatibility. It can also be helpful to try out different distributions using a live USB or virtual machine before committing to one.