Finding the Lim inf and sup of f(x)=1/(1+(ln x)^2) for Infinity and Beyond

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary, the domain of the function f(x)=1/(1+(ln x)^2) is {x: x>0}. The limit of the function as x goes to either infinity or negative infinity is 0. The inf (greatest lower bound) of the range of f is 0 and the sup (least upper bound) is 1. The function is never negative and its maximum value is 1.
transgalactic
i need to find the sup and the inf of

[itex]
f(x)=1/(1+(ln x)^2 )

[/itex]

i can find the limit for the function for + infinity
and - infinity

but what to do next?
the sup is the least upper bound
the limit for +infinity is not SUP
??

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean sup and inf of the range of that function. You seem to be thinking that the limit as x goes to infinity SHOULD be the sup and there is no reason for that. As x goes to either infinity or negative infinity f(x) goes to 0. Since f is never negative, 0 is the inf (greatest lower bound) of the range of f. Since the denominator is always larger than or equal to the numerator, f is never larger than 1- but f(1)= 1 so sup (least upper bound) of the range of f is 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

Halls, I think you have a typo here:
HallsofIvy said:
...but f(0)= 1 so sup (least upper bound) of the range of f is 1.

because of the [tex] \ln x [/tex] term, [tex] f(0) [/tex] is undefined. I believe you meant to
type

[tex]
f(1) = 1
[/tex]

Thanks statdad. I have edited so I can pretend I never made that mistake!

Nothing to see here. Move along. :smile:

HallsofIvy said:
As x goes to either infinity or negative infinity f(x) goes to 0.

...ln(x) is not defined for x<=0.
The domain of f(x) is {x:x>0}.
Cheers.

1. What is the definition of Lim inf and sup?

The Lim inf and sup, or limit inferior and limit superior, are concepts used in calculus to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value, typically infinity or negative infinity. The Lim inf is the smallest limit that the function approaches, while the Lim sup is the largest limit.

2. How do you find the Lim inf and sup of a function?

To find the Lim inf and sup of a function, you must first take the limit of the function as the input approaches the desired value. Then, you must evaluate the function at all values within this limit. The Lim inf is the smallest value that the function takes on, while the Lim sup is the largest value.

3. What is the Lim inf and sup of f(x)=1/(1+(ln x)^2) for Infinity?

The Lim inf and sup of f(x)=1/(1+(ln x)^2) for Infinity are both equal to 1. As x approaches infinity, the function approaches 1 from both above and below, making 1 the smallest and largest limit values.

4. What is the Lim inf and sup of f(x)=1/(1+(ln x)^2) for Beyond?

Since "beyond" is not a specific value, it is not possible to determine the Lim inf and sup of f(x)=1/(1+(ln x)^2) for beyond. The Lim inf and sup can only be calculated for a specific value or as the input approaches a certain value.

5. How can the concept of Lim inf and sup be applied in real-world situations?

The concept of Lim inf and sup is often used in optimization problems, where one is trying to find the minimum or maximum value of a function. It can also be useful in analyzing the behavior of a system as certain parameters approach certain limits, such as in economics or physics.