The Convergence of the Series (sqrt(k+1) - sqrt(k))/k

In summary, the series \Sigma\stackrel{\infty}{k=1} (\sqrt{k+1} - \sqrt{k})/k can be evaluated using the comparison test and shown to converge.
Appa

Homework Statement

Is the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex])/k convergent or divergent?

Homework Equations

The Comparison Test:
0<=ak<=bk
1.The series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ak converges if the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] bk converges.
2. The series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] bk diverges if the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ak diverges.

The Attempt at a Solution

I computed the equation until it looked like this: [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{1/k + 1/k^2}[/tex] - 1/[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) and then I tried to find some other series that would be smaller than the original but still diverge because my guess is that this series diverges. But if I take the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{1/k^2}[/tex] - 1/[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) the terms of the series become negative and the rules of the Comparison Test don't apply.
Then I tried the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k-1}[/tex])/k and computed it to this: [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{1/k + 1/k^2}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{1/k-1/k^2}[/tex]) but it's even harder to analyse than the original series.
Any hints? I also tried series that are greater than the original but found all of them divergent so they weren't of any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I would do integral test. Your terms are decreasing, I believe; you know that

[tex] \lim_{k=\infty} f(k) = 0 [/tex]

So you'd have to evaluate

[tex] \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{k+1} - \sqrt{k}}{k} dk [/tex]

The first part of that integral is tricky and I don't see a quick way to do it but I believe the integral evaluates to

[tex] \int_{1}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{k+1} - \sqrt{k}}{k} dk = 2 - 2\sqrt{2} + ln\left|\frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{\sqrt{2}-1}\right|[/tex]

The best I can come up with is that

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{k+1}}{k} dk = \frac{k+1}{k\sqrt{k+1}} dk [/tex]

So if we let

[tex] u = \sqrt{k+1} \Rightarrow 2du = \frac{dk}{\sqrt{k+1}} [/tex]

And we are left with integrating

[tex] 2\frac{u^2}{u^{2} - 1} du [/tex]

Which you can simplify fairly easily using polynomial division and then do partial fractions on what's left.

Does that help?

You can do a comparison test as well. First multiply numerator and denominator by sqrt(k+1)+sqrt(k). Now compare it with a p-series.

Now I was able to compute the series [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex])/k to [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] 1/k([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]).

And from there I was able to tell that 1/k([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] + [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) < 1/k(2[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) . And because [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] 1/k(2[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]) converges, the Comparison Test states that [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\infty}{k=1}[/tex] ([tex]\sqrt{k+1}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex])/k must converge too.

Thank-you for your help!

1. What is the divergence test for a series?

The divergence test is a method used to determine if an infinite series diverges or converges. It states that if the limit of the terms in a series does not approach zero, then the series must diverge.

2. How is the divergence test used to determine the convergence of a series?

To use the divergence test, you must first take the limit of the terms in the series. If the limit is equal to zero, the test is inconclusive and other methods must be used to determine convergence. If the limit is not equal to zero, then the series diverges.

3. What is the relationship between divergence of a series and the sum of its terms?

If a series diverges, it means that the sum of its terms is infinite. This means that the series does not have a finite sum and the terms continue to increase without bound.

4. Can a series converge if it fails the divergence test?

Yes, a series can still converge even if it fails the divergence test. The divergence test is only used to determine if a series diverges, but there are other tests that can be used to determine convergence.

5. How is the divergence test related to the comparison test?

The comparison test is often used in conjunction with the divergence test. If the limit of the terms in a series does not approach zero, then the comparison test can be used to compare the series to another series with known convergence or divergence. This can help determine the convergence of the original series.