What are the details for PF Chat Days?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, this chat room is for people who want to talk about physics, science, and related topics. There are two chat rooms, one for general chat and one for science chat. There is a link on the homepage to the chat room that will be displayed on the chat day. There are snacks and drinks available for those who attend the chat. A slow typer should be able to get by in the chat room.
out of whack said:
Fight the power! Now we need to organize for next week. We can prevail! The room will NEVER close. Mwhaa-ha-ha!
EXACTLY !

_Mayday_ said:
Woah, one up from a punk. You didn't smash the system you beat it.

Is this weekly then? If so see you next week!
Sorry, and you are ... ?

marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks re CHAT

CHAT worked perfectly on my Mac. I see it being a very helpful tool in my line of learning. Thanks to Greg, and all.

It was slower for me and it eventually fell behind the messages. Whenever I typed something, it took 2 minutes to see it.

I have a really old browser though. That might not help.

JasonRox said:
It was slower for me and it eventually fell behind the messages. Whenever I typed something, it took 2 minutes to see it.

It wasn't your browser. I don't know when you were on, but the server and DB took quite a hit in early afternoon. A backup that wasn't supposed to be running then decided to run anyway, and we all had a rather slow experience.

Consider today the test run. I think Greg's going to tweak some stuff to optimize performance based on today's stats.

JasonRox said:

You're not alone. There were several of us who had similar problems. I kept trying and I eventually got acceptable results in like the last hour of chat time. Although, there was about a 5 second lag with keystroke and mouse response. Whenever someone entered the room or left the room (a sound would play), this just made my session unresponsive for about 10 seconds.

JasonRox said:

That happened to me as well. Let Greg work his magic. I'm sure it'll get much better, and that's saying something, considering it was pretty cool already!:approve:

One could turn the sounds off. That might have helped many people that were experiencing problems.

ranger said:
Whenever someone entered the room or left the room (a sound would play), this just made my session unresponsive for about 10 seconds.
If nicky keeps opening and closing the door constantly, next time she's getting locked out! :biggrin: I noticed that too, that someone entering or exiting briefly slowed everything.

I think if Gred killed the chat logging it would help a bunch. I'm sure the DB is having to create a new record and instance everytime someone comes in or out.

Ronnin said:
I think if Gred killed the chat logging it would help a bunch. I'm sure the DB is having to create a new record and instance everytime someone comes in or out.

Messages are stored in the db whether they are "logged" or not. How would you know what others typed if they weren't stored somewhere?

You can turn the sound off in the options menu.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Well, that was really fun!

Thanks to everyone that joined and let's give a big THANK YOU to Greg for going to the trouble of setting this up!
Ditto! Thanks Greg for the time and effort.

And thanks to the participants.

See ya'll next time.

Not all chats depend on a DB. The just listen on a port and respond by sending that data to all the clients connected. There is no need for persistence in a chat. The database functions to retrieve user data. I am ignorant to how the vbulletin one is written.

Ronnin said:
Not all chats depend on a DB. The just listen on a port and respond by sending that data to all the clients connected. There is no need for persistence in a chat. The database functions to retrieve user data. I am ignorant to how the vbulletin one is written.

Well the development version of the chat software includes full and partial caching, to reduce (or eliminate, in the case of full caching) database load. hopefully it will be released soon.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Well the development version of the chat software includes full and partial caching, to reduce (or eliminate, in the case of full caching) database load. hopefully it will be released soon.

In any case, thanks for letting us crash at your place for a few hours. I salute you sir.

I thought that was very fun (mainly because I'm a fast typer :biggrin:). The chat will be back this Sunday correct?

Yes, it will.