Newtonian Physics & Relativity: Work & Energy

In summary, the core idea of energy as the ability to do work is present in both Newtonian Physics and Relativity. However, under relativity, energy and mass are equivalent, leading to the statement that "mass is the ability to do work." This concept is also related to the measure of resistance to changes in motion. While there are several equivalent ways to define energy, Einstein's discovery of the connection between mass and energy is considered a critical difference between Newtonian and Relativistic views. However, the exact understanding and function of energy from these viewpoints is open to debate, making it a topic of interest in philosophy of science.
MetricBrian
Is it correct to say that the core idea of energy as the ablity to do work is the same for Newtionian Physics and Relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well under relativity energy and mass are equivalent... so something's got to change there, because that would imply the statement "Mass is the ability to do work". Strange.

mass is the measure of resistence changes in motion...hence, the capacity to do work is the same as the measure of resistance to chances in motion

Yes, energy can be defined as the capacity to do work in relativistic as well as Newtonian physics, ...and yes, it leads to weird conclusions. That's relativity. :smile:

I am writing a paper on the philosophy of science and I am arguing that the core concept of energy (the ability to do work) is the same for Newtonian Physics and Relativity and that the primary difference is that Einstein discovered the connection between mass and energy which was unknown to Newtonian science. Do you agree with this?

Core? Primary? That's a matter of opinion. There are several equivalent ways of defining energy.

But since it's a philosophy paper, argue whatever you want. ;)

If you believe that use of such terms as 'core' and 'primary' are a matter of opinion then I withdraw them. I am interested in matters of scientific fact. Please bear in my mind that i am not asking whether the defintion of energy as the ability to do work happens to apply to Newtonian Physics and Relativity. I am asking how those terms are understood and function from a Newtonian and Relativistic veiwpoint.

Suppose that I re-phrase the statement this way...

the concept of energy (the ability to do work) is common to Newtonian Physics and Relativity and the critical difference is that Einstein discovered the connection between mass and energy which was unknown to Newtonian science. or do you believe that this statement is open to debate?

More specifically, i am interested in what changed and did not change in the concept of energy with regard to Newtonian Physics and Einstien.

Last edited:
MetricBrian said:
the concept of energy (the ability to do work) is common to Newtonian Physics and Relativity and the critical difference is that Einstein discovered the connection between mass and energy which was unknown to Newtonian science. or do you believe that this statement is open to debate?

That is one of the critical differences, and it's easy to argue that it is the critical difference. Your paper is on solid ground.

But when you go beyond the equations to what the equations mean, everything is open to debate. That's what makes philosophy fun. :wink:

I would say that it's the "stuff" that makes the universe.

1. What is the difference between Newtonian Physics and Relativity?

Newtonian Physics is a set of laws and principles developed by Sir Isaac Newton that describe the motion of objects in everyday life. Relativity, on the other hand, is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the behavior of objects at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

2. How do Newton's laws of motion relate to work and energy?

Newton's laws of motion state that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. This concept is closely related to the concept of work, which is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Similarly, energy is the ability to do work and is closely related to the concept of force.

3. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. In other words, the energy of a system before an event or process must equal the energy after the event or process.

4. How does Einstein's theory of relativity challenge Newtonian Physics?

Einstein's theory of relativity challenges Newtonian Physics by introducing the concept of spacetime, in which space and time are intertwined and can be affected by the presence of matter and energy. This challenges the idea of absolute space and time in Newtonian Physics and requires a more complex understanding of motion and gravity.

5. What are the implications of relativity for the concept of work and energy?

The concept of work and energy in relativity is more complex than in Newtonian Physics due to the interplay between space and time. In relativity, energy and momentum are conserved separately, and the work done on an object is dependent on its relative velocity and the observer's frame of reference. Additionally, the concept of mass-energy equivalence in relativity means that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.