Maximum Bending Stress in Beam

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using the moment of inertia, but they were not sure how to find the y-coordinate. They used the Ix and Iy values from the equation to calculate the stress max at the beam's strongest point.
joemama69

Homework Statement

Note the attachment. I scanned it out of my book and I drew a FBD on it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i haven't gotten very far at all with this one because it just doesn't seem to have enough information.

So first I summed the forces in the y direction.

Fy = 0 = 9k - RB... RB = 9k

Then I found the Moment @ B

MB = 9k(192) = 1728k

and that's about as far as I got. It seemed odd that there was no information given about the forces or distances at point A.

so I know that the Bending stress = -My/I

but how do I find the y. I am assuming it would come from k = 1/p but I do not know any of those quantities. Same with I = integral y2dA. Can I get a hint as to my next step

Attachments

• 2010_05_02_19_36_57.pdf
    487.3 KB · Views: 922
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a force at A (and B), but the max bending moment at B (in inch-kips) is the same on either side of support B, so you don't need the force at A to calculate it. You should calculate the moment of Inertia , I, of the wide flanged beam, using the parallel axis theorem. Ignore the small fillets where the web connects to the flanges.

Ok so find I i used an equation from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area#Parallel_axis_theorem

I calculated it for Ix & Iy, but it my book it doesn't specify which ones to use. do i add them together or did i use the wrong formulas

Ix = 1995 & Iy = 75

my book says for doubly symmetric shapes... [tex]\sigma[/tex]max = M/S where S = I/c

where do I go from here

The beam is bending about the strong axis of the beam, not the weak axis, so you just need to use the I that applies, not both. You don't add the moments of inertias. Don't forget your units of I (in^4). I assume you understand the value to use for 'c' ?

Ok so i used the Iy because that is the direction of movment = 75 in^4

and c would just be half of the height because it is a symetric beam

S = I/c = 75in^4/11in = 6.81in^3

[tex]\sigma[/tex] = M/S = 1725kip*in/6.81in^3 = 254 kips/in^2

is this correct

You've got your Ix and Iy mixed up. But you managed to get the correct c distance.

ok I missunderstood

S = 1995/11 = 181.4 in^3

Stress max = M/S = 1728kips*in / 181.4 in^3 = 9.5 is kips/in^2 = psi

yes, that's 9.5 kips/in^2, or 9.5 ksi, or 9500 psi.

What is maximum bending stress in a beam?

The maximum bending stress in a beam is the highest stress that occurs at the point of maximum deformation in the beam due to an applied load. This stress is caused by the bending moment, which is the product of the load and the distance from the load to the point of maximum deformation.

What factors affect the maximum bending stress in a beam?

The maximum bending stress in a beam is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and distribution of the load, the shape and size of the beam, the material properties of the beam, and the support conditions at each end of the beam.

How is the maximum bending stress calculated?

The maximum bending stress in a beam can be calculated using the formula σ = My/I, where σ is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point of interest, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section of the beam.

What is the significance of the maximum bending stress in beam design?

The maximum bending stress is an important factor to consider in beam design because it determines the strength and stability of the beam. If the maximum bending stress exceeds the yield strength of the beam material, the beam may fail or deform permanently.

How can the maximum bending stress in a beam be reduced?

The maximum bending stress in a beam can be reduced by increasing the size or strength of the beam, distributing the load over a larger area, or changing the beam's support conditions. Alternatively, using a different material with a higher yield strength can also reduce the maximum bending stress in a beam.