Can we calculate the exact number of receptors on E.Coli membrane?

• Thread starter Eagle9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Membrane
In summary, the number of receptors on E. coli membrane is unknown, and may vary depending on the particular sample being examined.
Eagle9
I have heard that nobody really knows how many receptors are placed on E.Coli cell membrane. Of course we know the general types of the proteins incorporated in membrane (Carrier proteins, Na+/K+-ATPase, various transporters, Ion channels) but I need to know the exact number of types and exact total number of receptors on E.Coli membrane. Actually there is a article in Wikipedia but it does not give us this number. :rolleyes:

So, what can you tell me about this? Has anybody counted them? If there is a better web-forum for microbiology then tell me and I will post this question there :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
The following paper has measured the copy number of nearly every protein in E. coli:

Taniguchi et al. 2010 Quantifying E. coli Proteome and Transcriptome with Single-Molecule Sensitivity in Single Cells. Science 329: 533. doi:10.1126/science.1188308.

Eagle9 said:
<snip> I need to know the exact number of types and exact total number of receptors on E.Coli membrane. <snip>

Why do you think this number would remain constant for any meaningful length of time? Proteins degrade and are replaced. Expression levels vary in response to environmental cues. Cells are not time-independent objects.

Please tell me why we cannot simply count the number of receptors? Cannot the Scanning probe microscope or the Scanning electron microscope scan the plasmatic membrane and see any roughness on it? Such roughness would be the receptors.

Ygggdrasil
The following paper has measured the copy number of nearly every protein in E. coli:
I quickly reviewed it twice but there are no exact and direct data of how many receptors are placed on the membrane. They say:
The fluorescence images show the intracellular localization of protein (Fig. 1, C to E).Most
cytoplasmic proteins were uniformly distributed intracellularly (Fig. 1C), whereas manymembranebound or periplasmic proteins showed localization
along the outer contours of the cell (Fig. 1D and table S3). Other proteins, including some
DNA-bound proteins and low-copy membrane proteins, showed punctate localization (Fig. 1E).
but this is not what I actually want.

Did I miss something there? :rolleyes:

Andy Resnick
Why do you think this number would remain constant for any meaningful length of time? Proteins degrade and are replaced. Expression levels vary in response to environmental cues. Cells are not time-independent objects.
No, I do not think this, but still I want to know the number (at least variable number and not constant) of receptors on the membrane.

Eagle9 said:
Please tell me why we cannot simply count the number of receptors? Cannot the Scanning probe microscope or the Scanning electron microscope scan the plasmatic membrane and see any roughness on it? Such roughness would be the receptors.

E. coli are gram negative bacteria, meaning they have an inner membrane and an outer membrane. Scanning probe microscopes (if they have the ability to detect these proteins) would be able to count only the outer membrane proteins. Furthermore, they would not be able to distinguish between the different types of outer membrane proteins.

I quickly reviewed it twice but there are no exact and direct data of how many receptors are placed on the membrane. They say:

but this is not what I actually want.

Did I miss something there? :rolleyes:

The information in table S6 should allow you to calculate the mean number of each protein in the E. coli strains they measured. All you need to do is compare that data to a list of E. coli membrane proteins.The bionumbers database, says the there are ~200000 proteins in the inner membrane of E. coli and ~300000 proteins in the outer membrane: http://bionumbers.hms.harvard.edu//bionumber.aspx?id=100083&ver=3

Ygggdrasil
E. coli are gram negative bacteria, meaning they have an inner membrane and an outer membrane. Scanning probe microscopes (if they have the ability to detect these proteins) would be able to count only the outer membrane proteins. Furthermore, they would not be able to distinguish between the different types of outer membrane proteins.
Ok, let such microscope do it, is it possible? It will simply move along the outer membrane and it will ”feel” something on the membrane, this “something” will be receptor. Has anybody tried to do it?
The information in table S6 should allow you to calculate the mean number of each protein in the E. coli strains they measured. All you need to do is compare that data to a list of E. coli membrane proteins.
Where is possible to find them? :rolleyes:
The bionumbers database, says the there are ~200000 proteins in the inner membrane of E. coli and ~300000 proteins in the outer membrane: http://bionumbers.hms.harvard.edu//b...d=100083&ver=3
Thanks, this latter information is valuable; I think I can trust this web-site :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How many receptors are there on the E.Coli membrane?

The exact number of receptors on the E.Coli membrane is difficult to determine as it can vary depending on the specific strain of E.Coli and the environment it is living in. However, estimates suggest that there are thousands of receptors on the membrane.

2. Can we accurately measure the number of receptors on the E.Coli membrane?

Due to the complex nature of the E.Coli membrane and the constantly changing environment, it is challenging to accurately measure the number of receptors on the membrane. Researchers use various techniques such as electron microscopy and protein analysis to estimate the number of receptors.

3. What is the function of receptors on the E.Coli membrane?

The receptors on the E.Coli membrane play a crucial role in the cell's ability to sense and respond to its surroundings. They bind to specific molecules or signals, triggering a series of events that allow the cell to adapt and survive in its environment.

4. Can we manipulate the number of receptors on the E.Coli membrane?

Yes, the number of receptors on the E.Coli membrane can be manipulated through genetic engineering techniques. Researchers can alter the genes responsible for producing the receptors, leading to an increase or decrease in their number on the membrane.

5. Are all E.Coli membranes identical in terms of receptor numbers?

No, the number of receptors on the E.Coli membrane can vary between different strains of the bacteria and even within the same strain under different conditions. This variability highlights the highly adaptable nature of E.Coli and its ability to survive in diverse environments.