Register to reply

Help with galvanic cells

by ElmorshedyDr
Tags: cells, galvanic
Share this thread:
JeffEvarts
Apr13-14, 05:46 PM
P: 34
This is apropos of nothing, and I am FAR from the point where I'd argue with Borek about anything chemistry related. However, folks had a bit of a contre-temps over at Wikipedia when the terms "anode" and "cathode" got used in the lead-acid cell entry, and I thought I'd chime in:

The very terms anode and cathode are a little misleading when it comes to batteries, since it matters which side of the cell wall you're on. The "source" of electrons for the inside of the cell, is the sink for electrons outside of the cell. I tended to use the terms positive/negative + plate/electrode just to keep things clear.

Lastly, ElmorshedyDr: There's a pretty good wikipedia entry on the LeClanche Cell which has reactions akin to what you're discussing. Unless it directly contradicts Borek, maybe reading it would give a different perspective.

Yours in service,
Borek
Apr14-14, 01:39 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
Quote Quote by ElmorshedyDr View Post
Do the zinc ions form bonds with the negative oxygen atoms of water or does it form Zn(OH)2 with the free hydroxide negative ions?
It is about freely floating Zn2+. For sure they are in the form of aqua complex, every cation in the solution is at least hydrated.
ElmorshedyDr
Apr14-14, 08:04 AM
P: 395
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
It is about freely floating Zn2+. For sure they are in the form of aqua complex, every cation in the solution is at least hydrated.

Isn't there any chance you could shed some light on why Zn is ionized when placed in the solution, I'm sure you can explain in a simple easy way, because it's really bothering me.
I'll be so grateful

Register to reply