How light produce? and why we can see it?

• Thread starter limce87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: I am sending their way.When Maxwell derived his equations for the interaction of electric and magnetic fields, he showed that the could produce waves and the speed of those waved depended on such things as the "magnetic permittivity of space" and other constants that could be measured. Taking the known values for them and doing the calculation he found- the speed was precisely the measured speed of light!
limce87
how light produce?? and why we can see it?

why we can see light?? we can see normal visible light wave but why infared wave ??

Science news on Phys.org
I assume you mean why not infrared light.

Our eyes are only capable of seeing visible light... its a biological thing. Many animals can see infrared however! And SOOOOOOOOOOOME people can see infrared as well... but the rest are pretty much out of our visible spectrum.

Pengwuino said:
SOOOOOOOOOOOME people can see infrared as well... but the rest are pretty much out of our visible spectrum.
I don't believe that at all.

Many animals can see infrared however!
The tiger pistol shrimp and pit viper come to mind.

Some animals, such as bees, can also see ultraviolet wavelengths.

Limce87, bear in mind that the reason that the visible light part of the electromagnetic spectrum is called that is because we can see it.

Mk said:
I don't believe that at all.

Then you smell!

Actually there are a very very very very incredibly rare number where people do have that capability to a small extent.

Light is produce as electromagnetic waves . We cannot see the infrared light is because our eyes structure is build to detect a range of the electromagnetic wavelength.The electromagnetic wave which have the wavelength which is outside of these range we cannot see it because our eyes cannot detect it .

The reason we see light is because we have special cells in our eye (rods and cones I believe) that interact with the photons we see and converts it into an electrical signal that our brain interprets and makes images out of. The reason we see only a limited range of the electromagnetic spectrum (ROYGBIV colors) is because these cells have evolved to detect this narrow range.

Pengwuino said:
Then you smell!
Actually there are a very very very very incredibly rare number where people do have that capability to a small extent.
Let's just bring some reality to this. There is no hard and fast boundary between red and infrared - it's a continuum. If you had a colour calibration card that spanned the spectrum, including IR, the farther reds would appear increasingly black.

Normal photographic paper is particularly insensitive to red light, so much so that we can work in a darkroom under red light without the paper being exposed. As far as the paper is concerned, we are seeing light that is outside the visual spectrum. (Dumb example, I know, using an inanimate object, but...)

Everyone's vison is slightly different. Some people are more or less sensitive to colours than others. Those who can see more into the red than others will pick up lower-freq reds slightly better. That's infra-red. Looking at the colour calibration card mentioned above, they would report total black starting further toward the end than others would.

Let's just bring some reality to this.
What? Just when we were having so much fun calling each other names?

Back when I was in high school, the teacher gave one student a red rubber ball on a string and another a red rubber ball on a stick. They were, he said, an "electron on a stick" and an "electron on a string".

The point was that since one electron repels another, the "electron on a string" would be pushed slightly from the vertical by the "electron on a stick" (which, itself, is held rigidly by the stick). If you tilt the stick slightly so that the "electron on a stick" moves closer to the "electron on a string", there is a greater force and so the "electron on a string" is pushed back more. If you tilt the stick back away, the "electron on a string swings forward. Moving the "electron on a stick" back and forth causes the "electron on a string" to move back and forth. Since the force:
[itex]\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}[/itex] is never 0, no matter how far apart the electrons are there will always be some force and (electrons are VERY light), some motion in response.
But how long does this take? If an electron HERE moves, does an electron THERE move instantaneously (all relativists cringe!). When Maxwell derived his equations for the interaction of electric and magnetic fields, he showed that the could produce waves and the speed of those waved depended on such things as the "magnetic permittivity of space" and other constants that could be measured. Taking the known values for them and doing the calculation he found- the speed was precisely the measured speed of light!

That's what light "is"- it is the interaction between electrons at far distant places in space- Across the room if I am looking at a picture on the wall, 93 million miles away if I am looking at the sun, many light years away if I am looking at a star. The reason we can "see" some of those interactions is that we have nerves in our eyes that react to the motion of electrons moving periodically with certain frequencies.

1. How does light produce?

Light is produced when atoms or molecules release energy in the form of photons. This can happen through various processes such as thermal radiation, electrical discharge, or chemical reactions.

2. Why can we see light?

We are able to see light because our eyes contain specialized cells called photoreceptors that are sensitive to certain wavelengths of light. These photoreceptors convert light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain, allowing us to perceive and interpret the light as different colors and shapes.

3. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is the fastest speed at which energy, information, or matter can travel in the universe.

4. How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line and at a constant speed until it encounters an obstacle or is absorbed by a material. It can travel through a vacuum, such as in outer space, or through a medium, such as air or water.

5. Why do different objects have different colors?

The color of an object depends on which wavelengths of light it reflects or absorbs. For example, a red object appears red because it reflects red wavelengths and absorbs all other colors. A white object reflects all wavelengths, while a black object absorbs all wavelengths, giving it the appearance of being black.