Does Distilled Water Boil/Evaporate? Mythbusters Examined

• Thread starter kmbop53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent episode of Mythbusters where it was stated that distilled water does not boil easily and may be at a greater risk for superheating compared to regular tap water. The speaker also mentions a potential experiment where they tested this theory by microwaving distilled water and causing it to violently boil. The conversation ends with a question about which episode this may have been from and a clarification that it may not be completely accurate.
kmbop53
A couple of days ago I was watching the show Mythbusters, which I find the experiments to be kind of hokey, but they did an experiment and they stated that distilled water does not boil. Is this true, if so does this mean that it does not evaporate faster when heated?

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt that they found that distilled water doesn't boil...

Can you find which episode it is from the list on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythbusters (Scroll down to the very bottom see each season in detail)

Edit: I think what you are thinking of is superheating. If you put water in a very smooth container and microwave it, it will boil because there aren't any places for bubbles to form. Of course as soon as you disturb the liquid, it violently boils.

I guess they were testing to see if distilled water was at a greater risk to superheat than regular tap water.

Last edited:
They must have said "Doesn't boil as easily" or something...

thanx that's quite interesting, you i think that they were talking about that, after a while it just exploded all over the microvave.

1. Does distilled water boil/evaporate at a lower temperature compared to tap water?

Yes, distilled water has a lower boiling point compared to tap water. This is because distilled water does not contain any impurities or minerals that can raise the boiling point. As a result, it requires less heat energy to reach its boiling point.

2. Can distilled water boil/evaporate faster than tap water?

No, distilled water and tap water will boil/evaporate at the same rate when heated under the same conditions. The only difference is the boiling point, but the rate of boiling/evaporation will be the same.

3. Is it true that distilled water cannot reach its boiling point in a microwave?

No, distilled water can reach its boiling point in a microwave. However, it may take longer compared to other types of water due to its lower boiling point. It is important to note that boiling water in a microwave can be dangerous, so it is not recommended.

4. Does the type of container affect the boiling/evaporation of distilled water?

Yes, the type of container can affect the boiling/evaporation of distilled water. A thin and non-metallic container, such as a plastic or glass container, will allow the water to heat up faster and reach its boiling point quicker compared to a thicker and metallic container.

5. Can distilled water evaporate at room temperature?

Yes, distilled water can evaporate at room temperature, just like any other type of water. However, it may take longer due to its lower boiling point. Factors such as humidity, air flow, and surface area can also affect the rate of evaporation.