Enantiomers & LCD: Practical Use of Polarized Light

• Thread starter thunderfvck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd
In summary, using an LCD display is one way to check the rotation of polarized light caused by a specific enantiomer. However, the practical process of doing so is not clear and may require the use of a polarimeter with an LCD display.
thunderfvck
I read that one way to check how much a specific enantiomer rotates polarized light is to use an LCD display. Kind of vague in my memory and I'm curious about it. Does anyone know how this is actually done practically?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by thunderfvck
I read that one way to check how much a specific enantiomer rotates polarized light is to use an LCD display. Kind of vague in my memory and I'm curious about it. Does anyone know how this is actually done practically?

I haven't the foggiest. I just use a polarimeter, although it's got an LCD display.

Yes, using an LCD display is a practical and commonly used method to determine the optical activity of enantiomers. This is because LCD displays are made up of liquid crystal molecules that have a chiral structure, meaning they exist in two mirror-image forms (enantiomers). These molecules can rotate the polarization of light passing through them.

To determine the optical activity of a specific enantiomer, the enantiomer is placed in front of the LCD display. The display emits polarized light, which is then passed through the enantiomer. The amount of rotation of the light passing through the enantiomer is measured by a polarimeter or a light detector, which can then determine the specific rotation of the enantiomer.

This method is practical because LCD displays are readily available and the equipment needed is relatively inexpensive. It is also a non-destructive method, meaning the enantiomer can be reused for further testing. However, it is important to note that this method only works for enantiomers that are optically active, meaning they can rotate the polarization of light. Enantiomers that are not optically active will not produce a measurable rotation on the LCD display.

1. What are enantiomers?

Enantiomers are molecules that are mirror images of each other. They have the same chemical formula and bonding pattern, but their three-dimensional structures are non-superimposable.

2. How do enantiomers interact with polarized light?

Enantiomers rotate the plane of polarized light in opposite directions. This property is known as optical activity and is used to distinguish between enantiomers.

3. What is the practical use of polarized light in the study of enantiomers?

Polarized light is used to determine the purity and identify the enantiomers of a substance. It can also be used to study the interactions between enantiomers and other molecules.

4. What is LCD and how does it work?

LCD (liquid crystal display) is a technology that utilizes the polarizing properties of light. It consists of two polarizing filters with a layer of liquid crystal molecules in between. The orientation of the liquid crystal molecules can be controlled by an electric current, allowing the display of images and text.

5. What are some practical uses of LCD?

LCD technology is widely used in electronic devices such as TVs, computer monitors, and smartphones. It is also used in scientific instruments, such as polarimeters, to measure the rotation of polarized light by enantiomers.