What is the correct method of finding the direction of a Vector

In summary: I will remember it better.In summary, the direction of a vector is relative to the origin and the reference frame. The choice of the origin and reference frame is arbitrary. So long as you specify which axis it is relative to, there is no problem.
Aladin
How the direction of a vector is found ?
In figure "a" we want to find the direction of the vector AB.In order to find the direction of vector AB,why we considered the angle between AB and y-axis.Why we did not considered this angle between AB and x-axis.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On the other hand the figure ''b".
Also in second example we want to find the direction of the resultant vector of A and B.While A=3cm and B=4cm.
Its resultant will be A+B=5cm.
Now we find the direction of A+B.
I see in my book that the angle is found between resultant vector (A+B) and A i.e (x-axis) the answer is 53 degree.that is correct.
but answer of the first example is also correct.
1) Please tell me what is the correct mathod of finding the direction of a vector.

Attachments

• vector1.bmp
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • vector2.bmp
    91.5 KB · Views: 943
Physics news on Phys.org
Aladin said:
How the direction of a vector is found ?
In figure "a" we want to find the direction of the vector AB.In order to find the direction of vector AB,why we considered the angle between AB and y-axis.Why we did not considered this angle between AB and x-axis.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On the other hand the figure ''b".
Also in second example we want to find the direction of the resultant vector of A and B.While A=3cm and B=4cm.
Its resultant will be A+B=5cm.
Now we find the direction of A+B.
I see in my book that the angle is found between resultant vector (A+B) and A i.e (x-axis) the answer is 53 degree.that is correct.
but answer of the first example is also correct.
1) Please tell me what is the correct mathod of finding the direction of a vector.
The direction of a vector is relative to the origin and the reference frame. The choice of the origin and reference frame is arbitrary. So long as you specify which axis it is relative to, there is no problem.

AM

Aladin said:
In order to find the direction of vector AB,why we considered the angle between AB and y-axis.Why we did not considered this angle between AB and x-axis.
Just to add to Andrew's explanation: It doesn't matter which axis you use to specify the direction of a vector—either one will do. And if you know the angle made with the y-axis, you should be able to figure out the angle made with the x-axis.

Please give me another example to explain the vector direction method.

It is irrelevant which from which axis you chose to take the angle, so long as you state this in your answer. For example say you have a 2D vector [itex]l = 3i + 4j[/itex] where i and j are unit vectors in the positive x and y direction respectively. Now, the magnitude of the vector would of course be;

[tex]\left| l \right| = \sqrt{3^2 + 4^2} = 5[/tex]

Now, it is up to use from which axis (x or y) we wish to take the angle. You may at this point wish to draw yourself a diagram. First let's take the angle anti-clockwise from the x axis;

[tex]\theta = \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{4}{3} \right) \approx 53.1^{o}[/tex]

Therefore, the vector would have a magnitude of 5 acting 53.1o anti-clockwise from the x axis.

Alternatively, we could take the angle clockwise from the y axis, in which case the angle would be;

[tex]\theta = 90 - \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{4}{3} \right) \approx 36.9^{o}[/tex]

And therefore, our vector would still have a magnitude of 5 and is directed 36.9o clockwise from the y axis.

Thank you Hootenanny .This example is proved helpful for me.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement or force of an object.

2. How do you find the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be found by using its components (x and y coordinates) or by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The direction is typically given in degrees or radians, and is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

3. What is the correct method for finding the direction of a vector using its components?

To find the direction of a vector using its components, you can use the arctangent function (tan-1) with the ratio of the y-component over the x-component. This will give you the angle in radians, which can be converted to degrees if needed.

4. Can the direction of a vector be negative?

Yes, the direction of a vector can be negative. This usually occurs when the vector points in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis, and the angle is measured clockwise instead of counterclockwise. In this case, the direction can be represented as a negative angle or with a negative sign in front of the angle measurement.

5. How does the direction of a vector affect its movement?

The direction of a vector determines the direction in which an object will move or the direction of the force acting on the object. For example, if a vector has a direction of 45 degrees, the object will move or be pushed in the direction of 45 degrees relative to the positive x-axis.