Understanding the Region of Operation for CMOS Transmission Gate: VDD vs Ground

In summary, the conversation is about determining the region of operation of n-channel and p-channel MOSFETs when the control voltage is at VDD (5V) and the I/O terminals are at VDD or ground. The person is unsure how the I/O terminals affect the operation and asks for help. It is also mentioned that both types of transistors will be ON in both cases.
pumas
Hello,
I'm supposed to determine the region of operation of both the n-channel and the p-channel MOSFET'S when the control voltage is at VDD(5V) and both I/O terminals are at VDD. Also I have to figure out the region of operation when the control voltage is at VDD but the I/O terminals are at ground.

I think that in both cases the p-channel and the n-channel will be ON. But I don't understand how the I/O terminals affect the region of operation of the MOSFETs. Can anyone help me? :confused:

Thank you

Attachments

• CMOS transmission gate.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 308
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to homework forums. Welcome to the PF, pumas, but please be sure to post homework and coursework like this in the appropriate homework forum, and not in the general forums like the EE forum.

To help you with your question, I googled CMOS switch tutorial, and got lots of good hits. Here is a good one from Maxim (they make CMOS switches):

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/638

All of the voltages are important in the operation of CMOS switches. Quiz question -- why do you need both an n-channel and a p-channel transistor in each switch?

Thanks for your help

What is a CMOS transmission gate?

A CMOS transmission gate is a type of electronic switch that is used to control the flow of an electrical signal in a circuit. It is made up of complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) transistors, which are commonly used in digital circuits.

How does a CMOS transmission gate work?

A CMOS transmission gate works by using two CMOS transistors, one PMOS and one NMOS, connected in parallel. When a voltage is applied to the control terminal of the gate, it allows the signal to pass through, acting as a closed switch. When no voltage is applied, the gate acts as an open switch, blocking the signal from passing through.

What are the advantages of using a CMOS transmission gate?

One of the main advantages of using a CMOS transmission gate is its low power consumption. CMOS technology allows for very low leakage currents, making it ideal for use in battery-powered devices. Additionally, CMOS transmission gates have a high input impedance, allowing for minimal loading on the circuit and reducing signal distortion.

What are some common applications of CMOS transmission gates?

CMOS transmission gates are commonly used in digital circuits for signal routing, level shifting, and multiplexing. They are also frequently used in analog circuits for signal isolation and as switches in analog-to-digital converters.

What are the limitations of CMOS transmission gates?

One limitation of CMOS transmission gates is their relatively slow switching speed compared to other types of electronic switches. They also have a limited voltage range, typically only able to handle signals within their supply voltage range. Additionally, CMOS transmission gates are susceptible to latch-up, where sustained high currents can cause the gate to become permanently damaged.