Optical Fiber attenuation coefficient

In summary, the attenuation coefficient of common optical fiber can vary depending on factors such as fiber type and wavelength. Modern Erbium-doped fibers can have an attenuation coefficient as low as 4dB per kilometer. The most convenient way to calculate power loss in optical systems is through the use of the dB scale. To convert between dB and % gain, one can use the formula 10 log (X) = (dB). The relationship between attenuation and wavelength is not simple and can be seen on a graph. Factors such as fiber type, multi-mode properties, and step index can also affect attenuation. Some additional concepts related to optics include polarization, Brillouin scattering, Raman scattering, and four-wave mixing.
teleport
Hi, I am curious to know what is a typical numerical value for the attenuation coefficient of common optical fibre. Please don't include anything strange in the units like dB since I am new to that. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many types of fibers in existence, but I can tell you that the attenuation of most modern Erbium-doped fibers is amazing. We can achieve attenuation coefficients of 4dB per kilometer or even lower (at the transmission wavelengths). I'm not really up to date with the latest manufacturing breakthroughs. You're going to have to get used to the dB scale, because it is the most convenient way to calculate power loss in generally any optical system.

To convert between dB and % gain, you do:

10 log (X) = (dB)

So for a -4dB gain, you have X = 0.3981

So that means that for every 1 km, you lose 60% of your power. Putting 10 Watts through, you get 3.981 Watts at the other end.

So attenuation coefficient here would be 0.6 per km, right?

teleport said:
So attenuation coefficient here would be 0.6 per km, right?

I'm assuming that the -4dB/km number is for light intensity or power, so you would do the conversion to a ratio like this:

[tex] -4dB = 10 log \frac{P}{P_0} [/tex]

So [tex] \frac{P}{P_0} = 10^{-4/10} = 0.398 [/tex]

OK. I'm trying to set up this equation: [tex] I = I_0e^{-\alpha x} [/tex]. So this [tex] \alpha [/tex] attenuation coefficient would be (without dB please)?

Last edited:
teleport said:
OK. I'm trying to set up this equation: [tex] I = I_0e^{-\alpha x} [/tex] . So this [tex] \alpha [/tex] attenuation coefficient would be (without dB please)?

I'd have to think about it more to be sure, but my first guess would be that you would want to use the ratio per km that I showed in my post, and fit it to your exponential equation. Something like...

[tex] I = I_0e^{-\alpha x} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{I}{I_0} = e^{-\alpha x} = 0.398 [/tex] where [tex] x = 1km [/tex]

[tex] ln( 0.398 ) = -\alpha * 1km [/tex]

etc. Does that work? You can test it to see if you plug in 2km, and get 0.398^2 as the intensity ratio...

Last edited:
It looks good to me. Thanks a lot.

It also depends on the wavelength of light that you're using. If you operate at 1.55 microns, you'll have the least attenuation.

But what is the actual relationship to wavelength. Decreases with wavelength? If so, in what way? i.e linearly, or...?

It's not a simple relationship. You need to look at a graph like this one.

Thank you. Wow that's very intriguing. Why is it that attenuation is related to specific wavelengths? I do hope the answer does not have to do with QM as most strange things these days are explained by that.

it also depends on the fiber type, multi-mode will have different dispersion characteristics based on it's modal properties and step index compared to single mode fibers, fiber can be considered a waveguide for photons. some of the more interesting things i guess would be optics basics, polarization, brillouin scattering, raman scattering, four-wave mixing.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of optical fiber attenuation coefficient?

The optical fiber attenuation coefficient is a measure of the amount of signal loss that occurs as light travels through an optical fiber. It is typically expressed in units of decibels per kilometer (dB/km) and is used to determine the overall performance and effectiveness of an optical fiber for transmitting light signals.

2. How does the attenuation coefficient affect the performance of an optical fiber?

The attenuation coefficient directly affects the amount of signal loss that occurs as light travels through an optical fiber. A higher attenuation coefficient indicates a higher level of signal loss, which can result in a weaker and less reliable signal transmission. Therefore, a lower attenuation coefficient is desirable for optimal performance of an optical fiber.

3. What are the main factors that determine the attenuation coefficient of an optical fiber?

The main factors that determine the attenuation coefficient of an optical fiber include the purity of the fiber material, the quality of the manufacturing process, the length of the fiber, and the wavelength of the transmitted light. Other factors such as temperature, bending, and splicing can also contribute to the attenuation coefficient.

4. How is the attenuation coefficient measured for an optical fiber?

The attenuation coefficient is typically measured using an instrument called an optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR). This device sends a pulse of light through the fiber and measures the amount of signal loss at various points along the fiber's length. The data is then used to calculate the attenuation coefficient of the fiber.

5. Can the attenuation coefficient of an optical fiber be improved?

Yes, the attenuation coefficient of an optical fiber can be improved through various methods such as using higher purity materials, improving the manufacturing process, and optimizing the fiber's design. However, it is important to note that there will always be some level of signal loss in an optical fiber due to physical limitations and external factors.