Lens Formula Derivation: Why is the Image Distance in a Converging Lens f(n+1)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the principles of optics, specifically the calculation of image distance using the focal length and magnification of a converging lens. The formula for determining image distance is 1/di = 1/f + n/di, where n represents the magnification. The conversation also mentions the importance of following the Cartesian sign convention in optics, which states that the intersection point between the lens and optical axis is taken as zero and distances are measured from there. The conversation concludes with a discussion on different conventions for determining the signs of v, u, and f in optics calculations.
7Kings
I recently took a test on lenses. One of the questions was "The image formed by a converging lens is real and is n times the size of the object. If the focal length of the lens is f, the distance from the lens to the image is?

Now, the answer is f(n+1) but I can't seem to figure out why. Heres my work so far and what i get. (di being distance of the image, do being distance of the object, f being focal length, and n being magnification
1/di + 1/do = 1/f so therefore 1/di = 1/f- 1/do
n = -di/do so therefore do=-si/n

from combining those two i come up with 1/di = 1/f - -n/di which equals 1/di = 1/f + n/di

then i got a common denominator and cmae up with 1/di = (di + fn) / (f*di)
then i cross multiplied and came up with f*di = di(di+f*n) so i crossed out the two di's and got f = di+fn. and then simply solved for di (what we're looking for) and got di=f-fn and from that di=f(1-n).

Now, the answer says its supposed to be f(n+1)...where did i go wrong? I assume i messed up with a sign somewhere but i can't seem to figure out where.

Physics news on Phys.org
n = -di/do
What does a negative magnification mean ? Or is one of those lengths considered negative ?

The negative indicates that the direction of the image is oppositte of that of the object

In that case, shouldn't this

1/di + 1/do = 1/f

be this
-1/di + 1/do = 1/f ?

Mentz114 said:
In that case, shouldn't this

1/di + 1/do = 1/f

be this
-1/di + 1/do = 1/f ?

erm not quite...i think you'll find its 1/f = 1/di - 1/do

Also, a quick hint, in optics it is important to follow Cartesian sign convention, in other words take the intersection between the lens and optical axis to be zero, assume light travels left to right, any distances are measured from the lens/optical axis intersection. Therefore the object distance in this case will be negative as the object lies in front of the lens and the image distance will be positive as the image lies behind it.
With regards to negative magnifictaion, it simply means that the image lies below the optical axis, in other words it is inverted.

Better we take that direction as positive which is in support of direction of incident light...and the origin is the intersection point itself...

here n= + di / do (in lenses it is of + sign while in mirrors -sign is there)

krateesh said:
Better we take that direction as positive which is in support of direction of incident light...and the origin is the intersection point itself...

here n= + di / do (in lenses it is of + sign while in mirrors -sign is there)

I'm not saying that you can't do it that way, I'm simply saying that as an optician, that is how i was taught and how every other optician i know was taught. It will only make things harder when you confront more difficult optics problems such as multi lens systems and optical instruments if you choose not to follow Cartesian sign convention. I think Rene Descartes who devised the convention (hence the name) knew what he was talking about.

i find this method easy ...(though it is more complex)...and that's because i can't undrestand the other conventions easily...the signs of v,u & f (if they are unknown) need not to be altered in this method and formulae can be directly applied without taking care of signs..

Last edited:

What is the lens formula?

The lens formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the relationship between an object's distance from a lens, the image distance, and the focal length of the lens. It is commonly used in optics and is expressed as 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance.

What is the derivation of the lens formula?

The lens formula can be derived using the principles of geometric optics and the thin lens equation. This involves using the geometry of a ray of light passing through a lens to determine the relationships between the object distance, image distance, and focal length. The derivation can be quite complex, but it ultimately leads to the equation 1/f = 1/u + 1/v.

What are the assumptions made in the lens formula derivation?

The derivation of the lens formula makes several assumptions, including that the lens is thin, the object and image distances are measured from the optical center of the lens, and that the rays of light passing through the lens are paraxial (close to the optical axis). These assumptions allow for a simplified derivation of the formula.

How is the lens formula used in real-life applications?

The lens formula is used in many real-life applications, including designing and optimizing optical systems, such as cameras and telescopes. It is also used in the production of corrective lenses for eyeglasses and in medical imaging, such as in the calculation of the power of contact lenses or the focal length of an eye during an eye exam.

What are some common mistakes made when using the lens formula?

One common mistake when using the lens formula is forgetting to convert units. The object distance, image distance, and focal length must all be in the same unit (usually meters) for the formula to work. Another mistake is not accounting for the sign convention, which can lead to incorrect calculations of the image distance. It is also important to note that the lens formula only applies to thin lenses and not all optical systems.