Athematica seems to be asking for more arguments

• Thread starter kel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with inputting an equation in Mathematica related to astrophysics. The equation involves differentiation and the user is getting an error message that they have too few arguments. They are trying to solve the problem using the DSolve function but are unsure how to incorporate the differentiation correctly. The solution is to use the D[] operator for differentiation.
kel

Homework Statement

I'm fairly new to mathematica and have been trying to input the following equation, but keep getting an error message stating that I have only 2 arguments when I need 3 or more.

BTW, this is in relation to astrophysics

Homework Equations

function is:

f(x) = (1 / x^2) d / dx ((x^2) (df^(E-1) / dx))

where ϵ=5/3
and f(0) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I've put it into mathematica as

DSolve[{f[x] == ((1/x^2))* (d/dx) (x^2 * df^(ϵ - 1)/dx), x[0] == 1} f[x], x]

I've had do tidy this up a bit as when cutting & pasting mathematica seems to add extra brackets etc.

As I've stated, mathematica seems to be asking for more arguments, but I don't know what else I can add to the equation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica does not understand the symbol (d/dx). You need to use the D[] operator to perform differentiation.

- Warren

so, I should differentiate the inner bracket first and then add the answer to this in a second differentiation??

What is Athematica and why does it ask for more arguments?

Athematica is a software program used for mathematical and scientific computations. It is designed to solve complex equations and perform data analysis. It may ask for more arguments in order to successfully complete a calculation or function.

How do I provide more arguments in Athematica?

You can provide more arguments in Athematica by specifying additional variables, values, or conditions in the function or equation. These can be entered manually or by using the built-in tools and functions within the program.

What happens if I do not provide enough arguments in Athematica?

If you do not provide enough arguments in Athematica, the program may not be able to complete the calculation or function. It may give an error message or produce inaccurate results. It is important to ensure all required arguments are included for accurate and reliable results.

Can I change the number of arguments required in Athematica?

The number of arguments required in Athematica is determined by the function or equation being used. Some functions may require more arguments than others. You can change the number of arguments by modifying the function or equation being used.

Are there any resources available to help me understand how many arguments are needed in Athematica?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you understand how many arguments are needed in Athematica. The program's documentation and help files can provide information on specific functions and their required arguments. There are also online forums and communities where users can ask questions and get assistance with using Athematica.