Pure Math & Phys: Aleks' Experience and Advice

In summary, Aleks has recently switched from engineering to math and physics with a minor in computer science. He is skeptical that he was premature about this decision and will have to struggle in his second year due to missing first year math dosis. However, he is confident that he can find a job in math-related fields.
teleport
I have recently switched from Eng Phys to Math and Phys (double honours) with minor in Comp Sc. to start in the next semester, my 2nd year. I can imagine how anyone could mention that I threw most of my chances for a normal, based on employement life. What can I say? I just couldn't help it:tongue2:? However, I must say that my interest (interest of the type that makes you want to take pure math in University) in pure math is of a young age. It was only recently, almost a semester or so, that I realized how much I enjoyed pure math, and problem solving. So I am a little skeptical that I might have been premature about this. Do not wrongly assume that I have made this enormous transformation solely based on this though. I know myself this much to perfectly realize that I am not Eng 'material'. Just a small example: my mom knows how to fix cars (yes, I know, you don't see this often). I remember that when I was a kid, she used to call me to the garage wanting to teach me. The truth is that I have never been interested in such a thing. Not only that, I know that I'm not a practical kind of person.

Moving on, I must admit that I will have to struggle in my 2nd year (the one that starts) due to missing first year pure math dosis. Especially, since this year will start with 4 pure math classes, and one phys. They are: Calculus and Introductory Analysis, Algebra, Ordinary Diff Eqn, Probability, Modern Phys. All of them honours 2nd year level. I am currently going through some calc and algebra proofs, as well as doing assignments of the previous calc and algebra classes, posted on the classes's websites. You might want to go ahead and reference me to some useful online material. If you have one in mind, please do.

Knowing that many of you have been seduced almost equally by both subjects to the point where you have become, er, 'academic bigamists', I would be grateful if you could share some of your past or current experiences, as well as provide me with any advice. How do you study? Did you go to grad school or to industry right away? What would you say are my employment options outside of academia (I don't think the answer will surprise me...)? Looking back, are you confident such a decision was right?Anything else?

Thanks so much.

Aleks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, maybe I should have posted this in Mathwonk's thread.:biggrin:

well perhaps the minor in compsci will compensate the loss of empolyability... (-:

anyway, well come aboard to the mathphys nutcase students, where we actually do want more and more courses on maths and physics as opposed to engineering and other discplines...

loop quantum gravity said:
well perhaps the minor in compsci will compensate the loss of empolyability... (-:

anyway, well come aboard to the mathphys nutcase students, where we actually do want more and more courses on maths and physics as opposed to engineering and other discplines...

I'll get into the 81 credit joint honours in math-phys at mcgill next year, so that gives me 9 credits, about 3 course to take cs. Is it possible to finish a minor during first year of grad school or something ? I'm wondering if i'll know enough programming with that small number of courses.

You can get jobs, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

It might be hard to find a strict math related job (almost impossible), but companies will hire you for all sorts of other things. My major is in mathematics, and I feel as though getting a job shouldn't be hard at all.

So, you didn't throw anything out the door. That's is just your perception. Wait until you're in like 4th year and you start looking for jobs. Many jobs out there.

Yes I guess comp sc would come in handy. gab_6666, in that case I would probably end up taking a few more comp courses in the summer. BTW, I'm just not taking Comp out of the need for future security (jobs), I find that problem solving in comp require considerable logical thinking. It reminds me of pure math.

JasonRox, wow, that was kind of unexpected:eek:. Thanks

Also gab_6666, if you have good grades, you can always ask them to replace the comp course of the comp minor with another similar (although harder) comp class that people in the comp major take. It should be more fun. (hopefully):wink: Although, yeah, this is not of the essence.

1. What is Pure Math & Phys and why is it important?

Pure Math & Phys, also known as Pure Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, is a branch of mathematics and physics that focuses on the theoretical aspects of these subjects. It is important because it lays the foundation for understanding and developing complex theories and models that are used in various scientific fields.

2. What is Aleks' experience with Pure Math & Phys?

Aleks is a scientist who has studied and worked in the field of Pure Math & Phys for many years. He has a deep understanding and knowledge of the subject, and has conducted research and published papers in this field.

3. What advice does Aleks have for students interested in Pure Math & Phys?

Aleks' advice for students interested in Pure Math & Phys is to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as a passion for theoretical thinking. He also recommends seeking out internships and research opportunities to gain practical experience in the field.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Pure Math & Phys?

One common misconception about Pure Math & Phys is that it only involves abstract and theoretical concepts that have no real-world applications. However, this is not true as the theories and models developed in this field are often used in various scientific fields such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.

Another misconception is that it is only for geniuses or those with a natural talent in mathematics and physics. While having a strong aptitude in these subjects is important, persistence and hard work are also crucial for success in Pure Math & Phys.

5. What are some potential career paths for those with a background in Pure Math & Phys?

Individuals with a background in Pure Math & Phys can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, and government agencies. They can also work in industries such as finance, technology, and engineering, where their strong analytical and problem-solving skills are highly valued.