How is charge transmitted between two metal plates separated by air?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving the measurement of background radiation and the introduction of alpha particles. It is explained that ionizing radiation allows air molecules to conduct electricity and that alpha particles are more ionizing but have a shorter range than beta particles. The question is raised as to why the current in the experiment falls back to its original value and remains constant at 0.002mA.
slakedlime
My teacher marked my answers to this assignment as wrong. He wouldn't explain why, so I hope you guys will be kind enough to point me in the right way :smile:

arrangement.jpg

The reading of the sensitive ammeter was found to be 0.002mA. Radon-220 isotopes are introduced through the valve and it releases alpha particles.

1. What causes this initial current?
My answer: background radiation which has ionized air particles in the chamber.

2. Explain why the current increased and then fell quickly as the experiment proceeded, returning to the background count
My answer: the alpha particles were neutralized due to bombardments with air particles inside the chamber.

My question is, if they were neutralized then other particles were ionized. Shouldn't the current remain as high as before or were alpha particles absorbed into the metal plates?

3. What would be the difference on the current reading if a beta emitter were introduced instead of an alpha-emitter?

I think I can answer this one if someone could tell me how alpha particles and electrons carry charge through air between the two plates. I was also wondering how background count could remain constant at 0.002mA.

I understand that this is a big question, but any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ionizing radiation 'ionizes' the gas (air) molecules enabling them to conduct electricity, i.e. it breaks the insulating properties of air.

Alpha particles are more ionizing the beta particles, but then alpha particles have a shorter range than beta particles. One has to look at the energy of the particles and the activity of the source.

Thank you for explaining that part. Alpha particles are more ionizing, but if they ionize the air molecules and allow them to conduct electricity, why does the current fall back to the original value later and stay constant at 0.002mA? Isn't the number of ionized air particles greater?

Last edited:

1. How does charge flow between two metal plates?

The flow of charge between two metal plates separated by air is due to the movement of electrons. When a voltage difference is applied between the two plates, electrons will flow from the negatively charged plate to the positively charged plate, creating a current.

2. What is the role of air in the transmission of charge between two metal plates?

Air acts as an insulator between the two metal plates, preventing the flow of charge through the air. This allows the charge to only flow through the metal, which has a higher conductivity.

3. Can charge be transmitted between two metal plates without any voltage difference?

No, a voltage difference is necessary for the flow of charge between two metal plates. Without a voltage difference, there is no force to drive the movement of electrons from one plate to another.

4. How does the distance between the two metal plates affect the transmission of charge?

The distance between the two metal plates affects the strength of the electric field between them. The closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field and therefore, the easier it is for charge to flow between them. As the distance increases, the electric field weakens and the flow of charge becomes more difficult.

5. What happens to the charge when the two metal plates are connected by a wire?

When the two metal plates are connected by a wire, the charge will flow through the wire instead of through the air. This is because the wire has a much higher conductivity than air, allowing for a more efficient flow of charge.