Polaroid filters question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of polaroid filters to determine if light is polarized or not. The person suggests experimenting with two pairs of polarized sunglasses and provides a link for further reading on polaroid material. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of effort and independent thinking in finding the solution to the problem.
ziad123

Homework Statement

A light source is viewed through 2 polaroid filters, A and B (B is infront of A)

a) describe carefully what is seen when polaroid B is rotated slowly in its own plane through 180 degrees.

b) describe how you would use one of the polaroid filters to determine whether the light from the source is polarised or not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

There are some equations you could use that would help you figure this out, but its more of a conceptual question that can be figured out without them.

First, you have to ask yourself what happens when light passes through a polaroid filter-- how is the light on your side of the filter different than the light that entered the filter?

If you have two pair of polarized sunglasses, you should take them outside and see for yourself :-)

thanks but sorry ... it doesn't answer my questions lol

ziad123 said:
thanks but sorry ... it doesn't answer my questions lol

I know it doesn't, I'm not going to do your homework for you. If you want some help here, you're going to have to show some effort. What have you done to try to answer these questions?

You can read a description of polaroid material, and what it does, here:

http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polabs.html#c3"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a polaroid filter and how does it work?

A polaroid filter is a type of light filter that is used in photography to control the amount and direction of light that passes through the camera lens. It consists of a sheet of special material that is able to block certain polarized light waves, thus reducing glare and reflections in photos. This allows for clearer and more vibrant images.

2. What are the benefits of using a polaroid filter?

There are several benefits to using a polaroid filter. It can reduce reflections and glare, enhance colors and contrast, and even improve the overall sharpness of an image. Additionally, it can also protect your camera lens from scratches and dust.

3. Can a polaroid filter be used with any type of camera?

Yes, polaroid filters can be used with most types of cameras, including DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, and even smartphone cameras. However, you will need to make sure that you have the correct filter size for your specific camera lens.

4. How do I choose the right polaroid filter for my needs?

Choosing the right polaroid filter depends on what you want to achieve in your photos. There are different types of polaroid filters, such as circular and linear, and each has its own unique features and uses. It's important to do some research and consider your specific photography needs before making a purchase.

5. Can a polaroid filter be used for video recording?

Yes, polaroid filters can also be used for video recording. They can help reduce glare and reflections, create dramatic effects, and enhance the overall quality of your video footage. However, make sure to do some test shots before using the filter for an important video project, as it may affect the color balance and exposure of your footage.