Feynmann diagrams interpretation and diagramm symmetry order

In summary, the Wick's theorem shows that a feynman diagram can represent MANY terms in the Wick expansion, and we only want one of these terms. So we divide the diagram by its symmetry order.
kvl
I'm trying to understand Feynman diagrams interpretation in terms of virtual particles. What I still can't understand is how this interpretation is compatible with the fact that one should divide each diagram by its symmetry order.

As far as I understand, diagram symmetry order means how many different physical processes are represented by this diagram. But than one should multiply the probability by this number, not divide !

Probably someone can clarify this a bit...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, symmetry factors are a b&tch! What you have to remember is that they come from an OVERCOUNTING, so you have to divide. You can see this by explicitly looking at Wick's theorem - a single feynman diagram can represent MANY terms in the Wick expansion, and we only want one of these terms. That's why we divide.

I've been doing loop calculations for years, and just last week, my collaborator corrected me on my symmetry factors! I doubt I'll ever get them right first-time! :cry:

blechman said:
Yeah, symmetry factors are a b&tch! What you have to remember is that they come from an OVERCOUNTING, so you have to divide. You can see this by explicitly looking at Wick's theorem - a single feynman diagram can represent MANY terms in the Wick expansion, and we only want one of these terms. That's why we divide.
Yes, I understand the Wick's theorem and why we should divide. But what I don't understand is how can it be compatible with interpretation of diagrams in terms of virtual particles creation/anihilation !

kvl said:
how can it be compatible with interpretation of diagrams in terms of virtual particles creation/anihilation !

Feynman diagrams are literally terms in an expansion.

It is misleading to think these are diagrams of actually what is happening.

masudr said:

I agree. The point is that a feynman diagram overcounts the number of ways lines can attach to vertices. And this is the symmetry factor.

masudr said:

Wick theorem used for "external connection" (as shown in Peskin &Schroeder books) shows that your interpretation is correct.

1. What are Feynman diagrams and why are they important in physics?

Feynman diagrams are visual representations of mathematical equations used in quantum field theory to describe the interactions of subatomic particles. They are important because they allow physicists to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions, and have played a crucial role in the development of modern particle physics.

2. How are Feynman diagrams interpreted?

Feynman diagrams are interpreted by assigning each line and point in the diagram a specific meaning. Lines represent particles, with arrows indicating their direction of movement, and points represent interactions between particles. The diagram is then used to calculate the amplitude or probability of the interaction occurring.

3. What is the significance of the symmetry order in Feynman diagrams?

The symmetry order in Feynman diagrams refers to the number of ways the diagram can be rotated or reflected without changing its overall structure. This symmetry is important because it reflects the underlying symmetry of the physical processes being represented, and can provide insight into the fundamental forces and interactions at play.

4. How do Feynman diagrams account for the conservation of energy and momentum?

Feynman diagrams account for the conservation of energy and momentum by using mathematical equations known as Feynman rules. These rules dictate how particles can interact and how their energy and momentum must be conserved in each interaction. The overall structure of the diagram must also satisfy these conservation laws.

5. Can Feynman diagrams be used to visualize all types of particle interactions?

Feynman diagrams can be used to visualize all fundamental particle interactions, including strong, weak, and electromagnetic interactions. However, they may become increasingly complex and difficult to interpret for interactions involving a large number of particles or higher energy levels.