Is this New Laptop Project a Scam?

• Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pyramid
In summary: Foreign exchange rates are different in different countries, and Rupees are the currency of India.Yes, that would make sense. Hey everyone, question, why are most of the Asian currencies in such small increments? Like Yen, Rupees, etc.increments? do u mean 'foreign exchange rates'? Well.. if u do mean that.. I'm not sure about the Yen.. but India is still economically developing.However.. forex rates are quite blown here.. like.. 40Rs. in India fetch a lot more than what 1$ would fetch in U.S. Big Mac index says that around 1$ fetches in U.S. what 20Rs. fetch in India..Foreign exchange rates are different in different countries
rohanprabhu
i know this is a physics forum.. but I'm more or less used to spam in the 'General Discussion' forum at most boards.. so..

somebody introduced me to this new 'project', where I could get a laptop for Rs. 10,000 [a kind of laptop which normally would cost me Rs. 35,000]. I was directed to this site: http://sharpbestbuy.com/files/h_busplan.asp

After reading it and especially noting the fact that I need to introduce 2 new members to it myself.. I'm thinking this is some sort of a pyramid scheme. Either ways, even if i get a laptop for ONLY Rs. 10,000 and I don't care about getting my money back [because it's a huge discount anyways].. is this a safe scheme to get into?

One thing that really makes me thing that this is a scam is that the site's logo is a total rip of Best Buy. But then, that's ok.. because it couldn't have been done with the intention of fooling people.. because most people here don't know what Best Buy is.. and graphic label imitation is rampant here.

I couldn't really understand if there were any hidden surprises at the points enlisted on the page mentioned above..

any guidance is appreciated.. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This seems like the great pyramid of pyramid schemes. I'd stay away.

Last edited:
Research more about that company on the internet, try to find someone you trust who has done some business with that company, read the legal policy on their website...

To be on the safer side, go to a computer store and get your laptop.

I'd say it's a pyramid scheme for sure.

graphic label imitation
I would not trust any site that infringes upon the trademarks of other businesses.

It would seem to be a pyramid scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
any scheme that requires you to bring in other people is generally some variant of a pyramid scheme

Try looking up the laptop on other sites and see how low you can get it, like CDW or Tigerdirect. What are "Rs." sorry I'm being lazy and don't want to research it.

binzing said:
What are "Rs." sorry I'm being lazy and don't want to research it.

it's the currency of India [rupees].

Yes, that would make sense. Hey everyone, question, why are most of the Asian currencies in such small increments? Like Yen, Rupees, etc.

binzing said:
Yes, that would make sense. Hey everyone, question, why are most of the Asian currencies in such small increments? Like Yen, Rupees, etc.

increments? do u mean 'foreign exchange rates'? Well.. if u do mean that.. I'm not sure about the Yen.. but India is still economically developing. However.. forex rates are quite blown here.. like.. 40Rs. in India fetch a lot more than what 1$ would fetch in U.S. Big Mac index says that around 1$ fetches in U.S. what 20Rs. fetch in India..

1. What is a pyramid scheme?

A pyramid scheme is a business model in which individuals make money primarily by recruiting others to join the scheme, rather than by selling products or services. The original members at the top of the pyramid earn the majority of the profits, while those at the bottom are unlikely to make any money at all.

2. How can I identify a pyramid scheme?

Pyramid schemes often promise large returns for little effort and require individuals to pay money to join or become a member. They may also require participants to recruit others in order to make money. If a company's primary focus is on recruiting rather than selling products or services, it is likely a pyramid scheme.

3. Is it illegal to participate in a pyramid scheme?

In most countries, yes. Pyramid schemes are considered fraudulent and are often illegal. They can also result in severe financial losses for participants.

4. Can pyramid schemes ever be successful?

Pyramid schemes may appear to be successful for a short period of time, as the original members at the top of the pyramid may make large profits. However, these schemes are not sustainable and often collapse, leaving the majority of participants with financial losses.

5. How can I protect myself from falling for a pyramid scheme?

Be cautious of any business opportunity that focuses primarily on recruiting rather than selling products or services. Do your research and thoroughly understand the business model before investing any money. Additionally, be wary of promises of large returns for little effort and always trust your instincts.