Help me set up a PID temp controller w/ heating element

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to heat styrene to its forming temperature of 325°F without using a high-amperage heating gun. The person found a solution in the form of a temperature controller that can reach higher temperatures than a blow dryer, but not as high as a 700°F heat gun. They also mention the need for a different type of thermocouple and ask for advice on whether a radiant heating element or bent nichrome wire inside cooking pans would work. They also inquire about the need for an SSR and mention being new to this topic.
red913
I need to heat styrene to its forming temp of around 325 degrees F. I have a heating gun that operates at too many amps to use safely at home. So I found these temp controllers that don't use a lot of energy, but can get hotter then my blow dryer can, yet not as hot as the 700 degree heat gun I have. So its a good compromise. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330211540965&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123"
Now this comes with a type K thermocouple which won't work for my application. What do I need to get this all going? Do I need a radiant heating element or will some bent bare nichrome wire inside some old cooking pans with insulation work? Also this will only need to heat 2ft x 2ft. Do I need an SSR or one of these guys too? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270211770451&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:US:1123"
This is all really new to me. I'm a total newb. lol Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
325°F. Sounds like a perfect application for your home oven.

But if you want to learn a little about temperature control, you might want to take a look at http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/zsection.asp" .

Last edited by a moderator:

I am happy to help you set up your PID temp controller with a heating element to heat styrene to its forming temperature of 325 degrees F. It is great that you have found a solution that is both energy-efficient and safe to use at home.

First, let's address the issue of the type K thermocouple. This type of thermocouple is not suitable for your application as it has a limited temperature range. You will need to purchase a type J or type N thermocouple, which can withstand higher temperatures, to use with your PID controller.

Next, you will need to choose a heating element that is suitable for your application. A radiant heating element would be a good choice as it can evenly distribute heat over a 2ft x 2ft area. Alternatively, you can use bent bare nichrome wire inside old cooking pans, but make sure to insulate it properly to prevent any safety hazards.

In terms of additional components, you will need an SSR (solid-state relay) to control the power supply to your heating element. This will allow the PID controller to regulate the temperature more accurately. The SSR you have found on eBay seems to be a suitable choice, but make sure to check the specifications to ensure it can handle the current required by your heating element.

I understand that this may all be new to you, but with some research and careful planning, you can successfully set up your PID temp controller with a heating element to achieve the desired temperature for your styrene. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out for help. Best of luck!

1. How does a PID temp controller work?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) temp controller uses a combination of three control actions to regulate temperature: proportional control, integral control, and derivative control. These actions work together to adjust the heating element's output based on the difference between the desired temperature and the current temperature.

2. What is the purpose of a PID temp controller?

The purpose of a PID temp controller is to accurately maintain a desired temperature by adjusting the heating element's output. This is important for experiments or processes that require precise temperature control.

3. How do I set up a PID temp controller with a heating element?

First, you will need to connect the PID temp controller to the heating element using the appropriate wiring. Then, you will need to input the desired temperature and adjust the PID settings (proportional, integral, and derivative values) to achieve the desired temperature control. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific PID controller model.

4. What are the benefits of using a PID temp controller?

Compared to other types of temperature controllers, a PID temp controller offers more precise and stable temperature control. It also has the ability to adapt to changes in the temperature environment, making it ideal for applications that require consistent temperature regulation.

5. How can I troubleshoot common issues with a PID temp controller and heating element setup?

If you are experiencing issues with your PID temp controller and heating element setup, some common troubleshooting steps include checking the wiring connections, ensuring the PID settings are correctly calibrated, and making sure the heating element is functioning properly. If you are still having problems, refer to the manufacturer's instructions or consult a professional for assistance.