Question about Grav. Potential Energy and Escape Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a formula for the maximum height a rocket will reach when launched vertically from the Earth's surface with a given initial velocity and without air resistance or the Earth's rotation. The suggested method is to use an energy argument, equating the kinetic and potential energy at the initial and maximum height, and solving for the height. The formula proposed is (1/2)m*v1^2 - [G(m)(Mearth)]/r = (1/2)m*v^2 - [G(m)(Mearth)]/r, with the height being the difference between the radius of the Earth and the final distance.
Divergent13
I am finding this question to be a bit challenging---

Determine a formula for the maximum height h that a rocket will reach if launched vertically from the Earth's surface with speed Vo. (< Vesc)

(Ignore air resistance and the Earth's rotation)

I know I should plug in numbers only until the end, but by using Gravitational potential energy, is it appropriate to begin with (1/2)m*v1^2 - [G(m)(Mearth)]/r = (1/2)m*v^2 - [G(m)(Mearth)]/r ?

The chapter is quite short --- Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not a physicist or even a scientist, but wouldn't it be merely a matter of 1G deceleration till no momentum is left, and then calculate the distance achieved in that time?

W.A. McCormick

You want to use an energy argument.

The object initially has zero potential energy (if you define the PE at the radius of the Earth as zero) and some amount of kinetic energy. When it's at the maximum height, it has zero kinetic energy and some amount of potential energy. Equate and solve.

cookiemonster

Divergent13 said:
I know I should plug in numbers only until the end, but by using Gravitational potential energy, is it appropriate to begin with (1/2)m*v1^2 - [G(m)(Mearth)]/r = (1/2)m*v^2 - [G(m)(Mearth)]/r ?
Yes, that's essentially it. But set it up carefully as a statement of energy conservation. KE1 + PE1 = KE2 + PE2. Of course, maximum height means that KE2 = 0.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 - \frac{GmM_e}{r_1} = - \frac{GmM_e}{r_2}
[/tex]

The height will be r_2 - r_1; r_1 = radius of Earth.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from one position to another within the gravitational field.

2. How is the gravitational potential energy of an object calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of an object can be calculated using the formula U = mgh, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above ground level.

3. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum velocity an object needs to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or a star.

4. How is escape velocity calculated?

The escape velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance between the object and the larger body.

5. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy and escape velocity of an object?

The gravitational potential energy and escape velocity of an object are affected by the mass and size of the larger body, as well as the distance between the object and the larger body. The greater the mass and size of the larger body, and the closer the object is to it, the higher the gravitational potential energy and escape velocity will be.