Switched from CompE to PhysE, want to go to EE. Help me

• Thread starter RESmonkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, an EE will have to do some programming in their career, but it's not too hard and they can go to a graduate school.
RESmonkey
I start my freshmen year this fall (yeah, i know, there's time to change). I was originally in CompE because I choose it without really researching. Then switched to Physics because, like everyone else here, I'm interested in finding new things and String theory, and what not.

But that's only because I watched Elegant Universe on tv, and read about Black Holes, etc. I have no idea on any of the math behind it all.

I'm great with Computers and electronics, although I hate programming.
I want to work with and design HDTVs, Projectors, and other high end equipment. I hear EEs do all that stuff.

I don't know what to do.

By the way, I'm very good at math (Calc II was easy for me) and Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
start as an engineer, as its easier to get out of engineer than to get into it. Your first year, you will take the same math and physics courses that a physics student would take, along with the introductory courses of your major. at that point you will see what interests you. It might not be too late even two years from now, so don't worry about things too much.

As an EE you will have to do some programming. But the same could be said of almost every technical major

yeah ur gonan do a lot of programming in either EE or physics. You got to make sure your technology does what you want it to do.

..i too hate programming. Could you do something else? Learn physics for fun. Take a few courses like quantum and read popular science journals.

RESmonkey said:
I start my freshmen year this fall (yeah, i know, there's time to change). I was originally in CompE because I choose it without really researching. Then switched to Physics because, like everyone else here, I'm interested in finding new things and String theory, and what not.

But that's only because I watched Elegant Universe on tv, and read about Black Holes, etc. I have no idea on any of the math behind it all.

I'm great with Computers and electronics, although I hate programming.
I want to work with and design HDTVs, Projectors, and other high end equipment. I hear EEs do all that stuff.

I don't know what to do.

By the way, I'm very good at math (Calc II was easy for me) and Physics.
Holy crap, I'm exactly the same way, in every respect that you've described.

My first choice was EE, but after doing a course in Electromagnetism, I switched to Engineering Systems and Computing, to start Freshman this September. I can switch freely between programs when I pinpoint my interest down the road.

Can an engineering physics student (with a bacherlors of science in eng. phsyics) go to an EE grad school?

Probably. You might have to take some undergrad courses before they let you take the graduate level ones, but I hear it's fairly common.

There isn't much information on the internet about Engineering Physics, even. argh!

I called up the Engineering dept. at my college and asked them about switiching to EE. They said the paperwork for switching to Physics is still working its way through, and so I should wait and make the change once I get there in August.

I think I made the right decision; can't wait until it's changed :)

1. Why did you switch from Computer Engineering to Physics Engineering?

I switched because I found that I had a greater interest in the physical fundamentals and principles behind technology rather than just the application and design of computer systems.

2. How will your background in Physics Engineering help you in Electrical Engineering?

My background in Physics Engineering has given me a strong foundation in understanding the fundamental principles of electricity, magnetism, and other physical phenomena that are crucial in Electrical Engineering. Additionally, my problem-solving skills and analytical thinking developed in Physics Engineering will be valuable in tackling complex problems in Electrical Engineering.

3. Do you have any relevant experience or coursework in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, I have taken several courses in Electrical Engineering during my time in Physics Engineering, including circuit analysis, digital systems, and electronics. I also have hands-on experience with electrical and electronic systems through various lab projects and internships.

4. What inspired you to switch to Electrical Engineering?

I have always been fascinated by technology and how it shapes our world. After gaining a deeper understanding of the physical principles behind technology through my studies in Physics Engineering, I realized that I wanted to be more involved in the design and development of these technologies. Electrical Engineering offers me the opportunity to do just that.

5. How do you plan on catching up with the coursework and skills required for Electrical Engineering?

I am committed to putting in extra effort and dedicating more time to studying and practicing the necessary skills for Electrical Engineering. I also plan on taking advantage of any resources or opportunities, such as tutoring or additional coursework, to help me catch up and excel in this field.