Parking uphill without a curb - question

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary, when parking on a hill or incline, it is important to place your vehicle in the appropriate gear and set the parking brake. When parking uphill, turn the wheels away from the curb, and when parking downhill, turn the wheels towards the curb. If there is no curb, turn the wheels slightly to the right to prevent the car from rolling into traffic. The back wheels on most cars do not turn, so they are positioned to block the wheels against the curb for stability. This method is preferable to the other arrangement because it prevents the car from rolling over the curb and into traffic.
Simfish
Gold Member
"Parking on a Hill or Incline
Vehicles with automatic transmission should be placed in the Park
position. Vehicles with manual transmission should be placed in rever
or low gear. In both cases, always set your parking brake firmly.
Uphill parkingturn the wheels away from the curb.
Downhill parkingturn the wheels toward the curb so the position of
the wheel will help hold the car.
If there is no curb, whether you are parking up or downhill, turn whee
slightly to the right so that if the car begins rolling, it will move off th
roadway.
Uphillwith curb.
Turn wheels from curb.
Up
Downhillwith curb.
Turn wheels to curb.
Down
Withoutcurb.
Turn wheels to right."

Why would you turn the wheels to the right if parking uphill WITHOUT a curb as compared to turning them to the left if parking uphill WITH a curb? I've googled for explanations and none of them explain the physical processes involved, much to my frustration. Supposedly "If the vehicle rolls, it will go off the road rather than into traffic". Yeah, but wouldn't the uphill-ness make the car roll in the direction OF traffic (i.e. towards the left?)

Oh and would a free body diagram work? It's amazingly difficult to draw in the case of two axles+4 wheels. Oh - and an additional question - how do the back wheels steer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simfish said:
Why would you turn the wheels to the right if parking uphill WITHOUT a curb as compared to turning them to the left if parking uphill WITH a curb? I've googled for explanations and none of them explain the physical processes involved, much to my frustration. Supposedly "If the vehicle rolls, it will go off the road rather than into traffic". Yeah, but wouldn't the uphill-ness make the car roll in the direction OF traffic (i.e. towards the left?)

Oh and would a free body diagram work? It's amazingly difficult to draw in the case of two axles+4 wheels. Oh - and an additional question - how do the back wheels steer?

Your quote explains it (assuming you drive on the right hand side of the road).

CS

this quote?
If there is no curb, whether you are parking up or downhill, turn whee
slightly to the right so that if the car begins rolling, it will move off th
roadway.

it just says that it will move off the roadway if the car begins rolling - it doesn't explain how it moves off the roadway (especially since the wheels are pointed like // ) [and yes I'm using right hand side of the road]

The assumption is that if the front tires will roll into a curb and not over it. Ideally you want the front tires very close or slightly touching the curb to reduce any momentum.

okay, sorry, I'm talking about the *uncurbed* roadways (where the wheels are supposed to point in the other direction)

Simfish said:
this quote?

it just says that it will move off the roadway if the car begins rolling - it doesn't explain how it moves off the roadway (especially since the wheels are pointed like // ) [and yes I'm using right hand side of the road]

If you are parked on a hill, and your car's parking mechanism fails, the car will roll off the roadway. The assumption is that something causes your parking mechanism to fail thus allowing the car to roll down the hill.

CS

okay...

| | //|

car's wheels point in direction above. gravity pulls the car down. the direction the car goes SEEMS to be to the left (which is towards the roadway rather than off the roadway). How is this logic incorrect?

Simfish said:
okay...

| | //|

car's wheels point in direction above. gravity pulls the car down. the direction the car goes SEEMS to be to the left (which is towards the roadway rather than off the roadway). How is this logic incorrect?

Because the back wheels hit the curb since the front wheel's angle steer the back of the car into the curb. The front end will move slightly toward the road until the back wheels hit the curb and stop the car.

CS

Okay thanks. I think that explanation works.

"since the front wheel's angle steer the back of the car into the curb. "

okay does this mean that the back wheels automatically turn like \\ *as* the front wheels steer the car?

And how is this preferable to the other arrangement \\|? Is it more stable w/o the curb that way? (when it's the back wheels, rather than the front wheels, that are hitting the edge?)

Last edited:
Simfish said:
Okay thanks. I think that explanation works.

"since the front wheel's angle steer the back of the car into the curb. "

okay does this mean that the back wheels automatically turn like \\ *as* the front wheels steer the car?

And how is this preferable to the other arrangement \\|? Is it more stable w/o the curb that way? (when it's the back wheels, rather than the front wheels, that are hitting the edge?)

The back wheels on most cars do not turn left or right, they stay straight. Some cars do though, Honda used to make a Prelude that had "All Wheel Steering" but that's not the norm.

It all comes down to the simple idea of "blocking" the wheel against the curb to prevent it from rolling. So, if you don't have a curb, there is no "stability" as you say. The wheels are just positioned to prevent the car from rolling out into traffic.

CS

Try getting in a car, turning the wheels to the right, and backing up. The front end swings out into traffic briefly, but overall the car goes right, and off the side of the road. When I took Driver's Ed. ( along time ago), we were taught to turn the wheel to the right whether there's a curb or not. If you turn to the right and there is no curb, the car goes off the road, if there is a curb, the back wheels will hit it and either stop or go off the road.

Seems to me the way they teach it now is not so good. With a curb, you point the wheels left, and as the car rolls back the front tires hit the curb. Maybe the car stops, but maybe it backs sidewise right across the road!

LURCH said:
Try getting in a car, turning the wheels to the right, and backing up. The front end swings out into traffic briefly, but overall the car goes right, and off the side of the road. When I took Driver's Ed. ( along time ago), we were taught to turn the wheel to the right whether there's a curb or not. If you turn to the right and there is no curb, the car goes off the road, if there is a curb, the back wheels will hit it and either stop or go off the road.

Yea that's exactly the way I imagine it too. I remember wondering this too when I took my drivers test.

Well, i stretched my art abilities, and here's my attempt at a diagram (imo they always help):
http://thenorthstaronline.com/raman/images/cars.bmp

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can I park uphill without a curb?

Yes, you can park uphill without a curb as long as you turn your wheels towards the edge of the road. This will prevent your car from rolling down the hill if the parking brake fails.

2. Is it safe to park uphill without a curb?

As long as you turn your wheels towards the edge of the road and engage your parking brake, it is generally safe to park uphill without a curb. However, it is always best to follow local parking regulations and guidelines.

3. What happens if I forget to turn my wheels when parking uphill without a curb?

If you forget to turn your wheels towards the edge of the road when parking uphill without a curb, your car may roll down the hill if the parking brake fails. This can result in damage to your vehicle and potentially cause accidents.

4. Do I need to engage my parking brake when parking uphill without a curb?

Yes, it is important to engage your parking brake when parking uphill without a curb. This will help prevent your car from rolling down the hill if the parking brake fails or if the wheels are not turned properly.

5. How do I know if I am parking uphill or downhill?

You can determine whether you are parking uphill or downhill by looking at the direction of the road. If the road is sloping upwards, you are parking uphill. If the road is sloping downwards, you are parking downhill.