Trying to fix my old laptop

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the person tried to reformat their laptop using a Windows XP CD, but encountered errors halfway through the process. After trying again a few months later, the setup wouldn't even start and the CD drive seemed to be malfunctioning. They have successfully reformatted their laptop multiple times in the past, leading them to believe that the issue may be with the CD drive. They have tried cleaning the CD, but are open to other suggestions.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Ok, I tried reformatting my laptop with my Windows XP CD. Here's what happened...

I boot from the CD, and everything works fine. Delete partition and start formatting. It goes half way through and then tells me I'm missing some DATA file, then I retry and retry, but never works. Also, the CD doesn't spin while I click retry, so I click ignore and then another DATA file is missing and this continues on for many many files and then eventually setup fails.

I try again after a few months (I left and just bought a new one while I was away) and now it won't even start the setup. The CD drive just sits still and stops at the beginning of the setup. It doesn't even say DATA files are missing or anything. It just sits there at 0% forever.

I reformatted my laptop atleast 6-7 times previously so I do know how to do it, but for some reason it's not working now.

Is the CD drive messed up?

I tried cleaning the CD itself and the CD is fine. No visible stratches or anything of the like.

Any other possibilities?

Any help is appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org

Based on the information provided, it is possible that there could be a problem with the CD drive or the Windows XP CD itself. The fact that the CD drive is not spinning while clicking retry could indicate a malfunction in the drive. It is also possible that the CD itself is damaged or corrupted, even if there are no visible scratches.

Another possibility could be that there are other underlying issues with the laptop that are preventing the reformatting process from completing successfully. It may be worth checking for any hardware or software conflicts, as well as running diagnostic tests on the laptop to identify any potential problems.

If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek the assistance of a professional technician who can further troubleshoot and diagnose the problem.

1. How do I determine what is wrong with my old laptop?

To determine what is wrong with your old laptop, you can start by running a diagnostic test. This can be done through the laptop's built-in diagnostic tool or by using a third-party software. It will identify any hardware or software issues that may be causing problems.

2. Can I fix my old laptop myself?

It depends on the issue with your laptop. Some problems, like a dead battery or a faulty charger, can be easily fixed by yourself with the right tools and knowledge. However, more complex issues may require professional help.

3. Is it worth fixing my old laptop or should I just buy a new one?

This depends on the severity of the issue and the cost of repairs. If the issue is minor and the cost of repairs is significantly less than buying a new laptop, it may be worth fixing. However, if the issue is major and the cost of repairs is close to the price of a new laptop, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a new one.

4. How much will it cost to fix my old laptop?

The cost of fixing an old laptop can vary greatly depending on the issue and the laptop's age and model. It is best to get a quote from a professional or do some research to get an idea of the potential costs.

5. Can I upgrade my old laptop instead of fixing it?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade some components of your old laptop, such as the RAM or hard drive, to improve its performance. However, this may not be a solution for all issues and may not be cost-effective in the long run if the laptop is significantly outdated.