How do I fix the factoring function on my TI-89 calculator?

• Thread starter panda_ex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, there is a problem with the factoring function on the TI 89 calculator, where it gives a rearranged order of the answer instead of the correct answer. The suggested solution is to check the manual or find it online. It is also mentioned that this type of question should not be posted in this forum and should be directed to the appropriate one.
panda_ex
does anyone have a problem with the factoring function on the TI 89? i tried to factor (by using f2 factoring function)a simple problem like 12x^2+5xy-3y^2 the answer should be (4x+3y)(3x-y) but on my calculator i just get a rearranged order of 12x^2-3y^2+5xy...does anyone know how to fix this problem? i know its not a hard problem just i had to do factoring in my head.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you own the manual? Perhaps you can check that. If not you can easily find the manual online by searching google for it.

On a side note, this type of question should not be posted in this forum. Post it here in the future as I am sure one of the mods will move it anyway...

Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums > Other Sciences > Computer Science > Technology

I am unable to provide specific technical support for a specific calculator model. However, I can offer some general troubleshooting tips for the factoring function on a TI-89 calculator.

First, make sure you are entering the problem correctly, including any necessary parentheses and correct use of variables. It is also important to check that the calculator is in the correct mode for factoring and that the factoring function is selected.

If the problem persists, try resetting the calculator or updating the software. You can also consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

In addition, it is always a good idea to double check your work by factoring the problem by hand to ensure the correct answer. This can help identify any potential errors in the calculator's function.

Overall, it is important to troubleshoot and try different solutions before determining if there is a problem with the calculator's factoring function.

What is a "TI 89 factoring problem"?

A "TI 89 factoring problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves using the TI 89 graphing calculator to factor a polynomial expression.

How do I solve a "TI 89 factoring problem"?

To solve a "TI 89 factoring problem", you will need to enter the polynomial expression into the calculator and then use the factoring function to find the factors of the expression. The calculator will then display the factored form of the expression.

What are the benefits of using a TI 89 calculator for factoring problems?

The TI 89 calculator has a built-in factoring function that can quickly and accurately factor polynomial expressions. This saves time and reduces the chances of making mistakes compared to manually factoring the expression.

Can the TI 89 calculator factor all types of polynomial expressions?

No, the TI 89 calculator can only factor polynomial expressions with real coefficients. It cannot factor expressions with complex numbers or expressions that involve variables in the exponent.

How do I check my answer to a "TI 89 factoring problem"?

You can check your answer by multiplying the factors together and comparing the result to the original expression. If they are equal, then your factoring is correct. You can also use the "expand" function on the calculator to expand the factored form and see if it matches the original expression.