What is the best webhost for personal website?

• Thread starter Oxygenne
  • Start date
In summary: I will definitely consider the domain and host suggestion. In summary, if you want to have your website but don't know where to look, FreeServers is a good place to start, but you'll likely need to purchase a domain and host from them in order to get more features and security.
Oxygenne
I would like to have my website but I do not know how where to look for a host?
Since I am new with this I would like to be easy to manage and also to not bee that expensive.
I want to do it by myself.
If you have any advice please do not hesitate to share that here.
Thank you!

Computer science news on Phys.org
It depends whether you are serving static or dynamic content.

http://sites.google.com/" [Broken]is good (for static) - free.

Most charge like +16 $ per year ... (if you want to a server and dynamic content)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid I do not understand what does mean "static or dynamic content"

I am afraid I do not understand what does mean "static or dynamic content"

Dynamic content might be something that is generated using server-side scripting such as PHP or ASP. These forums, for example, access a large database based on what variables we give it (e.g. thread #, post#) that contains a data structure that holds every forum post, so they're considered dynamic. A webpage that is written using html and javascript (for example) might be what rootX considers static.

thank you

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/v2/pages.dspmain here.

I use http://tophostingcenter.com/rudolf.html", they have a deal where you pay once, and you get hosting for life, I believe this includes a domain name (I transferred my domain I already had). I realize "for life" is really for the life of that company, but I've had mine for over a year and they are still around.

If I didn't have this I'd probably use https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/services/hosting.php" [Broken]. They charge based on what you use, and if it's a low traffic site you'll likely pay less than a dollar a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oxygenne, did you ever get your website up and running?

My advice might be a little late, but I wanted to add my two cents.

Most ISPs offer some personal web space to their customers; perhaps your ISP does too. If your site is pretty basic, that might be sufficient. Especially if you are just starting out as a webmaster. In this case, you might also consider one of the free hosting sites. Or perhaps one of the free blogging services might work for you; even if your site is not a blog, if your material can fit into the blog's format, it would save you the expense of starting your own site for a while.

As your site grows, and your webmastering skills develop, and you decide you want the site to become more sophisticated, then you could take the next step: purchasing a domain and selecting a host.

DuncanM Thank you for your piece of advice!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a webhost for my personal website?

When choosing a webhost for your personal website, there are several factors to consider. These include the hosting plans and pricing, server reliability and uptime, customer support, website security, and additional features such as website builder and email hosting.

2. How important is server reliability for a personal website?

Server reliability is crucial for any website, including personal websites. A reliable server ensures that your website is always available and accessible to your visitors. It also helps prevent downtime, which can negatively impact your website's performance and user experience.

3. What type of customer support should I expect from a webhost for my personal website?

A good webhost for personal websites should offer 24/7 customer support through various channels such as phone, email, and live chat. They should also have a knowledge base or FAQ section to help you troubleshoot any issues on your own.

4. Are there any security measures I should look for in a webhost for my personal website?

Yes, website security is essential for protecting your personal information and sensitive data. Look for webhosts that offer SSL certificates, regular backups, and advanced security features such as firewalls and DDoS protection.

5. Can I upgrade my hosting plan if my personal website grows in size and traffic?

Yes, most webhosts offer scalable hosting plans that can accommodate the growth of your personal website. Make sure to choose a webhost that allows you to easily upgrade or downgrade your plan as needed.