Top Chemistry Books for Freshman: Essential Reads for Chemistry Majors

In summary, the conversation discusses books recommended for freshman chemistry majors. The two main names mentioned are Zumdahl and McMurray and Fay, with Chang and Silberberg also being suggested. It is mentioned that the books should conform to the prescribed ACS curriculum, and there is a warning to avoid a general chemistry book published by the ACS. The conversation ends with a confirmation of Silberberg being an excellent choice.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'd like to know some books or "must have" books on chemistry that chemistry majors use as freshman.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zumdahl or McMurray and Fay are the two biggest names as far as freshman chemistry is concerned. There are about a million different books though, the only thing that matters is if it conforms to the prescribed ACS curriculum.

naele said:
Zumdahl or McMurray and Fay are the two biggest names as far as freshman chemistry is concerned. There are about a million different books though, the only thing that matters is if it conforms to the prescribed ACS curriculum.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I will investigate.
I didn't know about ACS, but I just googled it. By the way, how do I know if a book is ACS certified?

To be honest, you'll be hard pressed to find a book that didn't cover the required topics prescribed by the ACS. The only I know of off the top of my head is Linus Pauling's book AFAIK because it doesn't cover molecular orbitals.

Anyway, I should also warn you that there's a general chemistry book actually published by the ACS which you should avoid. Just stick with either Zumdahl or McMurray. Another name is Chang, which I've heard good things about. I personally used Zumdahl so I can speak to how good it is.

I learned chemistry from Zumdahl's book, so I guess it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Silberberg is excellent.

Werg22 said:
Silberberg is excellent.

I am currently using silberberg and can +1 this suggestion.

1. What topics are covered in a freshman chemistry book?

A freshman chemistry book typically covers basic concepts in chemistry such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, gas laws, thermodynamics, acids and bases, equilibrium, and organic chemistry.

2. Is a freshman chemistry book suitable for non-science majors?

Yes, most freshman chemistry books are written with the assumption that the reader has no prior knowledge of chemistry. They are designed to be easily understood by non-science majors.

3. Can I use a freshman chemistry book for self-study?

Yes, a freshman chemistry book can be used for self-study as it provides a comprehensive overview of basic chemistry concepts. It is recommended to also supplement with practice problems and online resources for a more thorough understanding.

4. What is the difference between a high school and freshman chemistry book?

High school chemistry books are designed for students with little to no prior knowledge of chemistry, while freshman chemistry books are geared towards college students who have completed high school chemistry. Freshman chemistry books typically cover more advanced topics and may have a stronger focus on problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

5. Can a freshman chemistry book be used as a reference for upper-level chemistry courses?

While a freshman chemistry book may provide a good foundation for upper-level courses, it may not cover all the topics in depth that are required for more advanced chemistry courses. It is best to use a more specialized and advanced textbook for upper-level courses.