Manually Control USB with Cellphone

In summary, the speaker is interested in setting up a small home project where they can control certain devices remotely using their cellphone. They want to keep the setup simple and are considering using email and USB commands, but are struggling to find information on controlling USB ports manually. They are open to alternatives such as X10 for home automation.
djeitnstine
Gold Member
Hi, I'm thinking about doing a small home project where I can control certain things away from home with my cellphone.

I want to do this with minimal items, i.e. servers motors etc...

what I'd like to do is basically send an email to my computer at home and have it operate external devices via my USB port using certain commands.

I I have a plan for everything else, but as for controlling my USB ports manually I'm lost...the net doesn't have much info either.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Controlling HW from USB is a bit of a pain, each device needs a USB hub/controller and a micro. Somethinh like X10 might be easier.
Look for home automation and X10

I find your idea to control USB devices with a cellphone to be quite interesting. It is certainly possible to do so with the right equipment and knowledge. However, I would like to point out a few things to consider before proceeding with this project.

Firstly, manipulating USB devices remotely can be a security risk. It is important to ensure that your system is secure and protected from potential hackers. Make sure to use strong passwords and consider implementing additional security measures such as encryption.

Secondly, using email as a means to send commands to your computer may not be the most efficient or reliable method. There are other options such as using a secure messaging protocol or developing a custom app for your cellphone.

Additionally, controlling external devices via USB may require specific hardware and software configurations. It would be beneficial to research and understand the technical requirements and limitations of your project before proceeding.

In conclusion, while your idea of controlling USB devices with a cellphone is feasible, it is important to carefully plan and consider all aspects, including security and technical requirements. I wish you the best of luck with your project.

1. How can I manually control a USB device using my cellphone?

There are various ways to manually control a USB device with your cellphone. One option is to use a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable, which allows you to directly connect your phone to the USB device. Another option is to use a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi enabled USB adapter, which can be paired with your phone to control the USB device wirelessly.

2. What types of USB devices can be controlled with a cellphone?

With the right adapters and software, almost any USB device can be controlled with a cellphone. This includes peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and external hard drives, as well as more complex devices like printers, cameras, and game controllers.

3. Do I need any special software or apps to control a USB device with my cellphone?

Yes, you will need to download a compatible app or software to control a USB device with your cellphone. There are various apps available for both Android and iOS devices, depending on the type of USB device you want to control.

4. Can I control multiple USB devices at once with my cellphone?

Yes, it is possible to control multiple USB devices at once with your cellphone. However, this will depend on the capabilities of your phone and the type of USB devices you are trying to control. Some apps may also have limitations on the number of devices that can be controlled simultaneously.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to controlling USB devices with a cellphone?

While it is convenient to control USB devices with a cellphone, there are some limitations and drawbacks to consider. One major limitation is that your phone's battery may drain quickly when connected to a USB device. Additionally, not all USB devices may be compatible with your phone, and the control options may be limited compared to using a computer.