Finding a Feed Reader for Google Reader Shared Items

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the speaker is currently using Google Reader but wants a different reader due to a lack of features such as nesting folders and the ability to mark previously read items as unread. However, they are hesitant to switch because of the "shared items" and commenting features in Google Reader. They are looking for a feed reader that can interact with Google Reader's shared items and comments and preferably open source. They mention using Feedburner and The Old Reader as possible alternatives.
NeoDevin
I'm currently using google reader as my feed reader, but due to a lack of some features (the biggest ones are nesting folders, and the ability to mark previously read items unread again) want a different reader.

The only thing keeping me from switching so far, is the "shared items" in google reader, and the ability to comment on them. It makes it so easy to let your friends know about things, and to discuss them in a context you might not want posted on the blog for everyone to read.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a feed reader which can interact with google reader's shared items/comments, and also has these other features? (even better if it's open source)

Thanks in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I use theoldreader web site, the greader android app also can use it as a source.

1. What is a feed reader?

A feed reader is a tool or software that allows you to subscribe to and read updates from various websites or blogs in one place. It collects and organizes new content from multiple sources, making it easier for you to keep track of the latest updates.

2. Why do I need to find a feed reader for Google Reader shared items?

Google Reader was a popular RSS feed reader that was discontinued in 2013. If you were previously using Google Reader to read and share content from your favorite websites, you will need to find a replacement feed reader to continue this function.

3. How do I choose the right feed reader for Google Reader shared items?

There are many feed readers available, so it's important to consider your needs and preferences. Some factors to consider include the user interface, available features, price, and compatibility with your devices.

4. Can I import my Google Reader shared items to a new feed reader?

Yes, many feed readers offer the option to import your Google Reader shared items. This allows you to easily transfer your subscriptions and saved content to your new feed reader.

5. Are there any free options for feed readers for Google Reader shared items?

Yes, there are several free feed readers available that offer similar features to Google Reader. Some popular options include Feedly, Inoreader, and The Old Reader.