Does anyone know how to read a .ps file?

• Thread starter twotaileddemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, a .ps file is a type of file that contains instructions for a printer to create a printed document. It is typically used for creating complex or high-quality documents, such as graphics or designs. Reading a .ps file requires specialized software or a printer that is compatible with the format.
twotaileddemon
My computer can't read these files and I was wondering if you know a safe site I can download a program to read them? thanks..

(sorry I posted this in the sub-form, thought it would get more responses here)

Computer science news on Phys.org
twotaileddemon said:
My computer can't read these files and I was wondering if you know a safe site I can download a program to read them? thanks..

(sorry I posted this in the sub-form, thought it would get more responses here)

I use Ghostscript. You can google it and download it for free

EDIT: www.ghostscript.com

If I remember correctly Google knows how to convert postscript to html, so if you can find a .ps file which is indexed by google (or maybe if you just type its url into the google search box) you may be able to read a converted version of the .ps file on google.com. However formatting will be all messed up...

The built in "Preview" program on mac os x can open postscript files but it is very slow at it.

char00les said:
Better yet, use notepad. If you want a better editor I would suggest Notepad++. Work's with everything. Download here: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/download.php

You must have posted the wrong thread; Notepad++ is a text editor; NOT what the OP asked about.

I agree with nrqed, download Ghostscript and Ghostview (you'll need both).
Adobe Acrobat can also read postscript files, although it does it by first converting them to PDF files.

You can also use something like ps2pdf to convert, but like some others said, many use ghostscript to view.

f95toli said:
You must have posted the wrong thread; Notepad++ is a text editor; NOT what the OP asked about.
Well he did ask if anything could read .ps not render it ;-)

Notepad++ will do syntax highlighting of a ps file

What is a .ps file?

A .ps file is a PostScript file that contains a set of instructions for a printer or image setter to produce a printed document or image. It is commonly used for high-quality printing and can be opened with various software programs.

How do I open a .ps file?

To open a .ps file, you will need a software program that can read PostScript files, such as Adobe Acrobat or Ghostscript. You can also try converting the file to a different format, such as PDF, using an online file converter.

Can I edit a .ps file?

Yes, you can edit a .ps file using a PostScript editor, such as Adobe Acrobat or Ghostscript. However, it is important to note that .ps files are not designed for easy editing and are primarily used for printing purposes.

Why does my computer say it can't open a .ps file?

Your computer may not have the necessary software to open a .ps file. Make sure you have a program that can read PostScript files, or try converting the file to a different format. It is also possible that the .ps file is corrupted or damaged.

Are .ps files still commonly used?

While .ps files are not as widely used as they once were, they are still commonly used for high-quality printing and are supported by many software programs. However, other file formats, such as PDF, have become more popular for document sharing and printing.