How can capacitive reactance be zero for no capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses a contradiction in the calculation of impedance for a circuit with no capacitor. The formula for impedance Z includes the term Xc, which is traditionally set to 0 when there is no capacitor in the circuit. However, this contradicts the formula for Xc, which shows that it would have infinite value in this case. The group discusses the interpretation of "no capacitor" and how it affects the calculation of reactance and impedance. It is noted that a short can be thought of as having infinite capacitance, but this may not be the best explanation for students.
bobaustin
I have a quick question about a problem requiring calculating impedance of a circuit where there is no capacitor. The formula for impedance Z is
Z=sqrt(R^2 + (Xl - Xc)^2).
I am told capacitive reactance Xc = 0 because C = 0 (there is no capacitor in the circuit). But the formula for Xc is Xc = 1/2(pi)fC. So if C = 0, then Xc must be huge or infinite, not zero!
I'm confused. Can someone please explain this contradiction to me. Thank you!

P.S.: Maybe I should visualize replacing the nonexistent capacitor with a "short". A short has infinite capacitance, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Capacitance of 0 is like an infinite insulator right? An open circuit. No current flows.

If Xc is ∞, then no current flows for any ω.

Th impedance Z is a complex value. Z = R + jX

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking C varies inversely with the capacitor gap d, so if there is no capacitor, then there is no gap, d goes to zero, which means C is infinite... Is this goofy thinking?

You give the formula for reactance in a series circuit.

The term "no capacitor" would typically be interpreted to mean a short in a series circuit and an open in a parallel circuit. So i think its meant that there is no capacitor in the series circuit.

The statement "capacitive reactance Xc = 0 because C = 0" is certainly flawed (i.e. not true in the general sense!). I suspect it should have been "capacitive reactance Xc = 0 because there is no capacitor in this series circuit".

Finally, yes, a short can be thought of as having infinite capacitance, but I wouldn't say that in front of a class since it would make the students think they have to look at wires as devices of infinite capacitance, resulting in long queues outside the instructor's office after the class.

1. How is capacitive reactance measured?

The capacitive reactance of a circuit is measured in ohms (Ω) and is calculated using the formula XC = 1/(2πfC), where f is the frequency in hertz (Hz) and C is the capacitance in farads (F).

2. Why is capacitive reactance zero for no capacitor?

Capacitive reactance is zero for a circuit with no capacitor because there is no capacitance present to oppose the flow of alternating current (AC). In other words, without a capacitor, there is no opposition to the flow of current, so the reactance is zero.

3. Is it possible for capacitive reactance to be negative?

Yes, it is possible for capacitive reactance to be negative. This occurs when the frequency of the alternating current is higher than the resonant frequency of the circuit, causing the capacitor to act as an inductor and producing a negative reactance.

4. How does the size of a capacitor affect its reactance?

The size of a capacitor, specifically its capacitance, directly affects its reactance. A larger capacitance will result in a lower reactance, while a smaller capacitance will result in a higher reactance. This is because a larger capacitor can store more charge and therefore has a greater ability to oppose the flow of current.

5. Can capacitive reactance ever be higher than the resistance in a circuit?

Yes, capacitive reactance can be higher than the resistance in a circuit. This can occur when the frequency of the alternating current is lower than the resonant frequency of the circuit, causing the capacitor to act as a resistor and producing a higher reactance than the resistance in the circuit.