Angular momentum of a particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angular momentum of a particle with mass 2.0kg at time t=2 seconds, given its position equation and the equation for angular momentum. The solution involves finding the velocity and using the cross product with the position vector.
peachy112girl

Homework Statement

The position of a particle of mass m = 2.0kg is given at time t by the equation, r = 3t i - t2 j + 2 k, where r is measured in meters from the origin, and t is in seconds. What is the angular momentum of the particle with respect to the origin at time t = 2 s?

Homework Equations

L = Iω = (mr2)(ω)

The Attempt at a Solution

I kind of understand the general idea of the problem, I think it's just the presence of i, j, k that is confusing me.

From the radius equation, I took the derivative to get the angular velocity equation.
ω = 3 i - 2t j

From there, I calculated r(2) and ω(2).
r(2) = 6i - 4j + 2k
ω(2) = 3i - 4j

Using the equation L = Iω = mr2ω
L = (2)(6i - 4j + 2k)2(3i - 4j)

Then, I just multiplied through to get the answer. But, the numbers look way too big and I'm not too sure I did it correctly.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular momentum is the cross product (vector product) of the momentum of the particle and its position vector. You can determine the velocity of the particle by differentiating r(t) with respect time; multiply it by mass and then calculate the cross product with the position vector.

ehild

Hello,

Your approach is correct, but there are a few things you can improve in your solution. First, let's clarify what the i, j, k represent in this problem. They are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively. So, when you take the derivative of the position equation, you should get the angular velocity vector, not just a scalar value.

ω = 3i - 2tj

Next, you correctly calculated r(2) and ω(2). However, when using the equation L = Iω, it is important to note that the moment of inertia, I, is a scalar value, not a vector. So, you should only use the magnitude of the angular velocity vector, not the entire vector.

L = (2)(6i - 4j + 2k)2√(3^2 + (-2)^2) = (2)(6i - 4j + 2k)2(√13)

Finally, you can simplify this further by noting that the cross product of i and j is equal to k, and the cross product of i and k is equal to -j. So, you can rewrite the angular momentum as:

L = (2)(12k)(√13) = 24√13k

This is the final answer for the angular momentum of the particle with respect to the origin at time t = 2s.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Keep up the good work!

What is angular momentum of a particle?

Angular momentum of a particle is a measure of the rotational motion of a particle. It is a vector quantity that describes the magnitude and direction of the rotational motion.

What is the formula for calculating angular momentum of a particle?

The formula for calculating angular momentum of a particle is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

How does angular momentum of a particle differ from linear momentum?

Angular momentum of a particle is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of linear motion. Angular momentum also takes into account the distance of the particle from the axis of rotation.

What factors affect the angular momentum of a particle?

The angular momentum of a particle is affected by its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and the distance of the particle from the axis of rotation.

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant, meaning that the initial angular momentum is equal to the final angular momentum.