Pressure to lift a safety valve.

In summary, the conversation is about determining the boiler pressure when a safety valve lifts. The spring on the valve can be compressed by 15 mm with a load of 700 kg, and in its working position, the compression is 22 mm. The combined mass of the valve, spring, and spindle is 17 kg. The question is whether the load on the working position is equal to 1026.7 N and if the final solution would involve combining this with the weight of the valve assembly to determine the pressure. The individual also mentions Hooke's law and their calculations using it. However, there are no responses or solutions provided.
tufferthandug
I'm not sure how to work this one...

The spring on a safety valve can be compressed 15 mm by a load of 700 kg. In it's working position the compression of the spring is 22 mm. The combined mass of the valve, spring and spindle is 17 kg. Valve diameter is 80 mm.

Determine boiler pressure when this valve lifts.

Would the load on the working position equal:

700/15=X/22

X= (700x22)/15

X=1026.7?

I'm not to sure where to start or where to finish this question. Do I add the mass of the spring valve on to X?

Then is it F/A to solve for lifting pressure?

I'm lost on this one. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
My final solution? After reading a little more on Hooke's law.

Does this look correct? Here's my notes:

Compressed to 15mm by 6967 N.

F=kx so k=f/x 6867/15= 457.8 N/mm

F=kx 457(22-15) = 3199 N

Finding the weight of the valve assembly (17x9.81)= 166.77

I hope the solution comes from combining the two: 3199+166.77

Pressure = F/A F= (3199+166.77) A= .005 m2

Boiler pressure when valve lifts: 670 kpa?

No takers? LOL

1. What is the purpose of a safety valve?

A safety valve is an important component in systems that use pressurized fluids or gases. Its main purpose is to relieve excess pressure that may build up in the system, thereby preventing catastrophic failure and potential harm to people and equipment.

2. How does a safety valve work?

A safety valve is designed to open at a predetermined pressure point, called the set pressure. When the pressure in the system reaches this point, the valve opens and releases the excess pressure, allowing it to escape safely.

3. What factors determine the set pressure of a safety valve?

The set pressure of a safety valve is determined by several factors, including the maximum operating pressure of the system, the type of fluid or gas being used, and the specific requirements of the application. It is important to select a safety valve with the appropriate set pressure to ensure it functions effectively.

4. How often should a safety valve be tested?

Safety valves should be tested regularly to ensure they are functioning properly. The frequency of testing depends on the type of system and the regulations or standards that apply. In general, it is recommended to test safety valves at least once a year.

5. What are the consequences of not having a safety valve?

Not having a safety valve in a pressurized system can have serious consequences. If the pressure in the system exceeds its capacity, it can lead to equipment failure, explosions, and injuries. A safety valve is a crucial safety measure that should not be overlooked.