Superluminous Objects and Black Holes

In summary, the question is whether an object moving faster than light, such as a tachyon, can escape from a black hole. This is complicated by the fact that relativity does not allow for objects to travel faster than light, so it is like asking how many sides a square triangle has. However, if we assume the existence of tachyons, they could potentially escape a black hole since their world-line is always spacelike.
Bussani
Simple question to ask, but probably not so simple to explain an answer: Can an object moving faster than light (I would say a tachyon, but I don't want to since there are different theories about what a tachyon might be) escape from a black hole?

Obviously a black hole isn't just about gravity, in the sense that things 'fall' because of gravity. Even light can't escape, since space-time curves in on itself so much. So would something that is somehow faster than light still be trapped in the same way? Or maybe moving faster than light would change how the object is experiencing time enough to make the outcome different. I can't really wrap my head around it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since relativity precludes objects traveling faster than light, asking how such objects would behave in the context of relativity can't be answered. It's like asking "how many sides does a square triangle have?"

Vanadium 50 said:
Since relativity precludes objects traveling faster than light, asking how such objects would behave in the context of relativity can't be answered. It's like asking "how many sides does a square triangle have?"

Well, I don't think that's quite right. Relativity doesn't completely preclude FTL, but it does tightly constrain its properties. For instance, it requires that any mechanism of FTL violate causality. Bussani clearly realizes that the assumption of tachyons (or whatever) is questionable, but he wants to know what follows if you grant the assumption.

I would say that the answer to Bussani's question has to be that tachyons could escape from a black hole. A tachyon is simply something whose world-line is always spacelike. There are certainly spacelike world-lines that lead outward from within the event horizon of a black hole.

Sorry guys, I know my questions usually have a few ifs. Thanks for the reply though, bcrowell. That helped me picture it in my head a bit better.

1. What are superluminous objects?

Superluminous objects are extremely bright and energetic astronomical objects that emit large amounts of radiation. They can include supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, and quasars.

2. How are superluminous objects formed?

Superluminous objects are formed through various processes, such as the collapse of a massive star, the collision of two neutron stars, or the accretion of matter onto a black hole. The specific process depends on the type of superluminous object.

3. What is the relationship between superluminous objects and black holes?

Black holes can be involved in the formation of superluminous objects, as they can be a result of the collapse of a massive star or the merger of two black holes. Additionally, some superluminous objects, such as quasars, are powered by the intense radiation emitted from material falling into a black hole.

4. How do we detect superluminous objects and black holes?

Superluminous objects and black holes can be detected through various methods, such as observing their effects on surrounding matter, measuring their gravitational influence, and detecting their radiation emissions using telescopes and other instruments.

5. Are superluminous objects and black holes dangerous for our planet?

No, superluminous objects and black holes are extremely far away from our planet and pose no direct threat to Earth. However, their radiation and gravitational effects can have significant impacts on the surrounding environment and other objects in the universe.