How Much Does the Water Level Rise with a Submerged Object?

In summary, the weight of an object in air is 30kg and when lowered into a tank with dimensions of 1m x 1m, the weight of the object in water is 16kg. To calculate the water level in the tank, we must first convert the mass of the object in water to weight by multiplying it by the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s). This gives us a weight of 156.96N. Then, using the density of water (1000kg/m^3), we can calculate the volume of water displaced, which is equivalent to the volume of the object submerged. This gives us a volume of 0.014m^3. Therefore, the water level in
jayjay112
An object weighs 30kg in air it is lowered into a square tank (1m x 1m)
the weight of the object in the water is 16kg. how much does the water level in the tank raise?

Heres my attempt.
30-16 = 14kg

14kg = 14 m^3

1 x 1 x h = 14

h = 14 metres.

Is this correct it doesn't seem right for some reason??

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
Way too much. What is water density?

Last edited by a moderator:
1000 kg/m^3 = rho

so W/1000 x 9.81 = h?

=14000/9810 = 1.43m?

Thanks for the help

Worst approach you can take it to calculate first, apply units later. That's what you are doing and your answer is all the time wrong.

I don't understand? do you mean my formula is correct but my units are wrong?

14/98100= 1.43 x 10^-3?

What is what of what?

Numbers you present - as long as they don't have any units - don't make any sense.

14kg / (1000kg/m^3 x 9.81m/s)= 1.43 x 10^-3 m

I guess the text of the problem creates some confusion. They call the 30 kg "weight" but it's the mass actually.
What is the weight of the water displaced? Not the mass.

1. How did Archimedes discover his principle?

Archimedes discovered his principle while taking a bath. He noticed that the water level rose as he entered the tub and realized that the volume of water displaced was equal to the volume of his body.

2. What is the basic concept of Archimedes principle?

Archimedes principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

3. What are some real-life applications of Archimedes principle?

Archimedes principle is used in various fields such as shipbuilding, designing submarines, and determining the purity of gold. It is also applied in the development of hydrometers and other measuring devices.

4. How is Archimedes principle related to density?

Archimedes principle is related to density because the buoyant force acting on an object depends on the density of the fluid displaced. Objects with higher density than the fluid will sink, while objects with lower density will float.

5. What is the difference between Archimedes principle and the law of flotation?

The law of flotation is a specific application of Archimedes principle, which states that the weight of a floating object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. Archimedes principle, on the other hand, is a general principle that applies to all objects submerged in a fluid.