Creating a Strong Straw Bridge: Tips and Guidelines for a Physics Class Project

In summary, the conversation was about building a bridge from straws and pins for a physics class, where the strongest bridge wins. The bridge must cover a 50cm gap without falling, collapsing or having the masses touch the ground. Only 50 straws and unlimited pins can be used, and no central supports are allowed. The suggestion for the strongest design is to use lots of triangles in an arc to transfer the weight onto the ends of the bridge.
amwbonfire
Hi everyone,

I've got to build a bridge from straws and pins for a year 12 physics class. Our bridges will be tested for strength by hanging weights off the bottom of them, and the strongest bridge wins. If the bridge collapses or the masses touch the ground, we fail.

Here's some more info:
- The bridge must cover a 50cm gap
- If the bridge falls onto the ground, collapses completely or the masses touch the ground, we fail
- 50 drinking straws are to be used
- Unlimited amounts of pins (sewing pins, the small ones) are allowed to join the straws together.
- The masses must be hung from the bottom of the bridge
- No central supports are allowed (we cannot have straw pillars holding up the bridge)

Any ideas for the strongest design?

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use lots and lots of triangles!

Nifty!

Triangles are nifty!

Unfortunately, 50 straws wasn't enough to do much... It broke.

But it was really funny! (Well I thought so...)

:rofl: :biggrin: :tongue2:

You should've used a lot of triangles in an arc. That way the weight would be transferred onto the ends of the bridge instead of the center. The trick is finding that perfect arc... :rolleyes:

1. How do I choose the right materials for my straw bridge project?

When selecting materials for your straw bridge, it is important to consider the strength and durability of the materials. You will want to choose straws that are sturdy and can support weight without bending or breaking. It is also important to choose a strong adhesive, such as hot glue or epoxy, to hold the straws together. Additionally, consider using toothpicks or popsicle sticks for added support.

2. What is the best design for a strong straw bridge?

The most effective design for a strong straw bridge is a truss design. This involves using triangular shapes to distribute the weight evenly and provide stability. You can also add additional support by using diagonal or cross-bracing within the truss design.

3. How much weight should my straw bridge be able to hold?

The amount of weight your straw bridge should be able to hold will depend on the specific guidelines of your project. However, a strong straw bridge should be able to hold at least 5-10 times its own weight. This means that if your bridge weighs 100 grams, it should be able to hold 500-1000 grams of weight.

4. How can I test the strength of my straw bridge?

To test the strength of your straw bridge, you can use a weight scale or a stack of books. Slowly add weight to your bridge until it reaches its breaking point. Make sure to record the amount of weight the bridge was able to hold before breaking. You can also test the bridge by placing it between two supports and adding weight to the center until it collapses.

5. Can I make any modifications to my straw bridge?

Yes, you can make modifications to your straw bridge to improve its strength. Some possible modifications include adding additional supports, using different types of straws or adhesives, or changing the design. Just make sure to document any modifications you make and how they affect the overall strength of your bridge.