Understanding the Impact of an Electrostatic Chopper on Beam Characteristics

In summary, the problem discusses a negative ion beam of He- ions with given beam characteristics of beam energy and beam current. An electrostatic chopper is then introduced to the beam line, pulsing the DC beam with a pulse width of t_1 nanoseconds. The question asks for the new beam characteristics after the chopper is applied. The solution involves using the normal distribution equation to calculate the new current profile, with the standard deviation being t_1 divided by 2.354. However, there seems to be an error in the solution as the peak current is calculated to be 0.046 times its initial value. The author is looking for clarification on how a DC beam is chopped to a Gaussian pulse.
elduderino

Homework Statement

Problematic Part of the problem:

Consider a negative ion beam of He- ions. The given beam characteristics are the beam energy (E) and the beam current (I).

An electrostatic chopper is placed on the beam line, which pulses the DC beam with a pulse width of say [tex]t_1[/tex] nanoseconds.

What are the new beam characterisitcs?

Homework Equations

Normal Distribution:
[tex]
f(x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} e^{-\frac{t^2}{2\sigma^2}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have said the new current profile would be, for an incident DC beam of beam current I0

[tex]I(t)=I_0\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} e^{-\frac{t^2}{2\sigma^2}}[/tex]

if the beam emerges from the chopper at t=0. Also, since the FWHM of the beam is given to be [tex]t_1[/tex] the standard deviation would be

[tex]\sigma=\frac{t_1}{2.354}[/tex]

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_width_at_half_maximum)

This seems pretty straightforward, however, this appears to be wrong because according to this, the peak current has changed, and become .046 times its initial value

[tex]I(0)=I_0 f(0)[/tex] where f(x) is the normal distribution...can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

you can just tell me how a dc beam is chopped to a gaussian pulse...

1. What is an electrostatic chopper?

An electrostatic chopper is a device used in particle accelerators to manipulate the beam of charged particles by selectively allowing or blocking the particles from passing through. It works by applying a high voltage to a series of electrodes, creating an electric field that can control the movement of the particles.

2. How does an electrostatic chopper affect beam characteristics?

An electrostatic chopper can impact beam characteristics in several ways. By controlling the timing and duration of the electric field, it can modulate the intensity, energy, and direction of the particle beam. It can also alter the beam's phase and polarization, which can affect its interactions with other particles or materials.

3. What factors influence the impact of an electrostatic chopper on beam characteristics?

The impact of an electrostatic chopper on beam characteristics can be influenced by several factors, including the strength and shape of the electric field, the type and energy of the particles in the beam, and the distance between the electrodes. Other external factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

4. How is the impact of an electrostatic chopper on beam characteristics measured?

The impact of an electrostatic chopper on beam characteristics can be measured using various techniques, such as beam diagnostics, particle detectors, and simulations. These methods can provide information on the beam's intensity, energy, direction, and other properties before and after passing through the electrostatic chopper.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding the impact of an electrostatic chopper on beam characteristics?

Understanding the impact of an electrostatic chopper on beam characteristics is crucial for optimizing the performance of particle accelerators and other related technologies. This knowledge can also aid in the development of new applications, such as particle therapy for cancer treatment, materials testing, and fundamental research in particle physics.