Medium Voltage Cable Cable sheat integrity test

In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding the test procedure for cable sheath integrity testing for medium voltage cables according to IEC 60229 standard. They also inquire about a free PDF version of IEC 229, but it is mentioned that these documents are copyrighted and must be purchased. They then ask for clarification on the difference between insulation testing or Megger testing and cable sheath integrity testing with absorption index for 15KV medium voltage cables, as well as when to use each type of test and which cables they apply to.
easyriderx150
Can sombebody help me where i can get the test procedure for cable sheat integrity test for medium voltage cable, as per IEC 60229 STANDARD?.
and does anyone knows where i can get the free pdf of IEC 229?..

PLS . i need some help.

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
easyriderx150 said:
Can sombebody help me where i can get the test procedure for cable sheat integrity test for medium voltage cable, as per IEC 60229 STANDARD?.
and does anyone knows where i can get the free pdf of IEC 229?..

PLS . i need some help.

thanks!

I do not think there is a free (legal) PDF version. Those are copyrighted documents, and they are for sale through a number of outlets. Just buy them and that will show you the test procedure(s).

berkeman said:
I do not think there is a free (legal) PDF version. Those are copyrighted documents, and they are for sale through a number of outlets. Just buy them and that will show you the test procedure(s).

thanks !
thats why i had some trouble of finding free PDF version of IEC Standard.

anyway, may i ask one more thing.

what is the difference between "INSULATION TEST OR MEGGER TESTING" From "CABLE SHEAT INTEGRITY TEST W/ ABSORPTION INDEX" ? for Medium Voltage cable of 15KV?.. coz I am quite having some confuse with these two. but i find them exactly similar in terms of measurement of variable.
Is there any difference from Test Setup?.. when to use insulation test?, and when to use cable sheat integrity test?.. and to what cable does this type of test applies?.. medium voltage only?..

any inputs will be appreciated.

many thanks!

~Dex

1. What is a medium voltage cable sheath integrity test?

A medium voltage cable sheath integrity test is a method used to determine the condition of the protective outer layer (sheath) of a cable. It is typically performed on cables used in medium voltage power systems to ensure the integrity of the cable and prevent potential hazards.

2. Why is a medium voltage cable sheath integrity test important?

A cable sheath integrity test is important because it helps to identify any damage or deterioration in the cable's protective layer. This can prevent potential safety hazards such as electric shock, fire, or equipment failure. It also ensures the reliability and efficiency of the power system.

3. How is a medium voltage cable sheath integrity test performed?

The test is typically performed using a specialized instrument called a cable sheath tester. The tester applies a high voltage to the cable sheath and measures the amount of current that leaks through any damage or defects. The results are compared to industry standards to determine the condition of the cable.

4. What are the common causes of damage to medium voltage cable sheaths?

The most common causes of damage to cable sheaths include physical damage from external factors such as construction or environmental factors, exposure to chemicals or moisture, and aging of the material. Improper installation or maintenance can also lead to damage.

5. How often should a medium voltage cable sheath integrity test be performed?

The frequency of cable sheath integrity testing depends on various factors such as the type of cable, its age, and the operating conditions. In general, it is recommended to perform the test every 3-5 years or after any major maintenance or repair work on the cable.