Loud music will make your lungs collapse

In summary, four people have experienced collapsed lungs as a result of listening to loud music. Doctors say that the condition is more common in men than women, and that the risk factors for collapsed lungs include smoking, illness, and use of drugs that depress alertness or consciousness. Treatment involves inserting a tube called a chest drain to allow air to escape from the chest cavity.
scribe
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3614180.stm

Loud music lung collapse warning

Loud music can do more than damage your hearing - it can also cause your lungs to collapse.

Experts writing in the Thorax detail four cases where loud music fans experienced the condition, known as a pneumothorax.

One man was driving when he experienced a pneumothorax, characterised by breathlessness and chest pain.

Doctors linked it to a 1,000 watt "bass box" fitted to his car to boost the power of his stereo.

A pneumothorax occurs when air gets into the space between the lung and the membrane that covers it when small breaks occur in the lung wall.

It is thought the intense pulses of low-frequency, high-energy sound causes the lung to rupture because air and tissue respond differently to sound.

The usual risk factors for collapsed lungs are smoking, illness that has weakened the patient, chronic obstructive lung disease or use of drugs that depress alertness or consciousness, such as sedatives, barbiturates, tranquilizers, or alcohol.

In a minority of cases, the oxygen supply to the vital organs is seriously diminished and the patient's life can be put at risk.

A pneumothorax is treated by inserting a tube called a chest drain to allow air to escape from the chest cavity.

Concerts

In a second case detailed in Thorax, a 25-year-old smoker saw doctors after experiencing a sudden severe pain in the left side of this chest while standing next to a loud speaker in a club.

A third man, a 23-year-old non-smoker, experienced a collapsed lung while attending a pop concert, where he was standing quietly near to several large loud speakers.

In the final case outlined in the journal, a 23-year-old regular smoker had suffered pneumothorax on several occasions.

During a follow-up consultation, where doctors were talking to him about what could have led up to each incident, he revealed that on two of the four occasions, he had been attending a heavy metal concert when he became ill.

Dr John Harvey, of Southmead Hospital in Bristol, who wrote the Thorax report, with colleagues from Belgium, told BBC News Online: "I don't think we'll stop people going to clubs, but we may be able to advise them not to stand next to loud speakers or put a bass box into their car."

Dr Harvey added: "A typical district hospital might see about 50 patients a year in casualty.

"We can't estimate how common loud music is as a cause, but it is probably quite significant.

"The condition is three times commoner in men than in women, and a proportion of sufferers may have been clubbing or standing next to a bass box at a pop concert."

Dr Harvey added: "Both my Belgian colleagues and I have seen cases and the more we mention it, the more people say 'I had a case like that'.

"So we're flagging it up so that doctors can ask the right questions."

Biology news on Phys.org
I've found that really good orgasms leave me breathless :)

lol, i think that's a little different, but your loud noises may make someone elses lungs collapse!

I wonder if we'll see more cases of collapsed lungs showing up from this. It seems to me the bass in cars is getting louder and louder. It used to be you just heard it if you were in the car near them, then to where you'd hear the bass in passing cars if the windows were open, now I'm hearing it from a 5th floor office with sealed windows! Perhaps it's just hitting a level common enough to start recognizing it as a risk factor for collapsed lungs. (I'll leave out the rest of my rant about kids and their loud music...it made me sound very old.)

1. Can loud music really cause my lungs to collapse?

Yes, it is possible for loud music to cause your lungs to collapse. This condition is known as a pneumothorax, where air leaks into the space between your lungs and chest wall, causing pressure on your lungs and making it difficult to breathe.

2. How loud does the music have to be for this to happen?

The loudness of the music is not the only factor that can cause a pneumothorax. Other factors such as the duration of exposure, individual susceptibility, and underlying lung conditions can also play a role. However, exposure to very loud music for an extended period of time can increase your risk.

3. What are the symptoms of a collapsed lung from loud music?

Symptoms of a pneumothorax from loud music may include sudden chest pain, shortness of breath, and a rapid heart rate. You may also experience fatigue, dizziness, or coughing. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.

4. Can this happen to anyone or only to people with preexisting lung conditions?

While people with preexisting lung conditions may be at a higher risk, anyone can experience a pneumothorax from loud music. It is important to be mindful of your listening habits and to take breaks from loud noise to help prevent this condition.

5. Is there any way to prevent a collapsed lung from loud music?

Yes, there are ways to prevent a pneumothorax from loud music. Limiting your exposure to loud noise and taking breaks from loud music can help reduce your risk. It is also important to seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms of a collapsed lung.