Should I take physical chemistry?

In summary, I feel like I didn't do well in calc 2 because I didn't try, not because I was incapable of understanding, but I honestly have NO IDEA what calc 2 was about. However, I did well in physics 2 (with calculus) within the past year, and I got an A. I am going to re-take calc 2 at some point so I can go on to calc 3, but I won't be able to retake calc 2 before taking physical chemistry.
Puchinita5
Hi.

I did well in calc 1, but I got a C in calc 2. I also took both calc 1 and 2 about five years ago. I feel I didn't do well in Calc 2 because i didn't try, not because I was incapable of understanding, but I honestly have NO IDEA what calc 2 was about.

However, Physics 2 (with calculus) within the past year, and I got an A.

I am going to re-take calc 2 at some point so I can go on to calc 3 because I just don't feel comfortable moving on with math without retaking it. However, I won't be able to retake calc 2 before taking physical chemistry. My course catalog says I need calc 2 to take physical chemistry, which makes me nervous! I mean, I did well in physics 2 somehow without retaking it, but will I be okay in physical chemistry? I might be able to take calc 2 again the same semester as physical chem. Would that be okay? Or should I really just wait until after I retake it.

My issue with waiting is that at my school they only teach Physical chemistry in the fall...so I will need to wait a whole year if I don't take it this fall and I can't fit calc 2 in before then.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physical chemistry is an advanced undergrad chemistry course. Take it.

Calc2 is essentially integration over one dimension, and its various applications. There is usually also a unit on Taylor series. I don't know how much of that you used in physics 2 w/ calculus, but if you do not feel comfortable with those topics, I would hold off on taking PChem. You don't want to risk having to retake PChem as well as calc2.

You might also want to ask around and see if your advisor, the professor teaching PChem, or any upperclassmen can tell you how important calc2 is to your school's PChem course. Where I am, calc3 is required for PChem, and DifEq is strongly recommended, so you'd be best off getting advice from someone familiar with your school's particular PChem sequence.

That said, are there any other options you can think of? What about retaking calc2 over the summer, or getting a book and relearning the material by yourself (or perhaps with a tutor)?

I definitely had to integrate in physics 2...but I have no idea what the Taylor series is? Or if I ever learned it?

And also, even though we did integration in physics 2, my professor often allowed us to use "integration tables" ...but i suppose I could easily memorize the integrations before taking Physical chem. Conceptually I feel like I understand it.

I am in sort of a complication situation, I'm a post-bacc student deciding between careers, and would take me forever to explain but I am most likely already taking other classes this summer.

For this semester, I am already taking Microbiology with lab (5 hours), Organic 2 with lab (5 hours), and am deciding if I should take Calculus 2 as well (4 hours), which I think may be too much for me to handle, or take an easier BS class. ( i need 12 hours to qualify for insurance). I know a lot of people take a lot of courses at once, and hard ones at that, but I'm definitely one of those people that has to work hard to get good grades (whereas some people can go out 7 nights a week and never go to class and still get straight A's) and I'm worried taking micro, orgo 2, and calc 2 would be too many of the difficult courses at once for me to handle. However, I don't want to be screwed in physical chemistry if I decide not to take calc 2 this semester and take it at the same time as physical chem.

I understand your concern about taking physical chemistry without having a solid understanding of calculus 2. Physical chemistry involves a lot of mathematical concepts and equations, and a strong foundation in calculus is necessary to fully grasp these concepts.

Based on your past experiences with calculus, it seems like you have the potential to do well if you put in the effort. However, retaking calc 2 before taking physical chemistry would definitely help you feel more confident and prepared for the course. If you are able to take both courses in the same semester, that would be ideal as you could apply the concepts you learn in calc 2 directly to physical chemistry.

If it is not possible for you to retake calc 2 before physical chemistry, I would recommend brushing up on your calculus skills and seeking extra help from your professor or a tutor during the course. It may also be beneficial to review the material from your physics 2 course, as it also involves calculus and may help reinforce your understanding.

Ultimately, it is important to feel comfortable and confident in your mathematical abilities before diving into physical chemistry. So if possible, I would recommend waiting to take the course until after you have retaken calc 2. However, if that is not an option, just make sure to put in extra effort and seek help when needed to ensure success in physical chemistry.

1. Should I take physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter. It deals with concepts like thermodynamics, kinetics, and quantum mechanics. If you are interested in understanding the fundamental principles of how atoms and molecules interact and how chemical reactions occur, then taking physical chemistry can be a rewarding experience.

2. Is physical chemistry difficult?

Physical chemistry can be challenging, especially for those who do not have a strong background in physics and math. It requires a solid understanding of calculus, differential equations, and other mathematical concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in physical chemistry.

3. How is physical chemistry different from other branches of chemistry?

Physical chemistry is different from other branches of chemistry in that it focuses on the underlying physical principles that govern chemical systems. It uses mathematical and theoretical models to explain and predict the behavior of matter and molecules, rather than just describing the observations.

4. What can I do with a degree in physical chemistry?

A degree in physical chemistry can lead to a variety of career opportunities. Many physical chemists work in research and development in industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and energy. Others pursue careers in academia, teaching and conducting research at universities. Some physical chemists also work in government labs or as consultants.

5. How can physical chemistry be applied in real life?

Physical chemistry has many practical applications in real life. For example, it is used in the development of new medicines, designing new materials with specific properties, and understanding chemical processes in the environment. Physical chemistry also plays a crucial role in fields like nanotechnology, energy production, and forensic science.