Online image hosting service, image embedding

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: Note that you can also attach a picture to a post, by clicking the "Manage Attachments" button in the "Additional Options" section below the message-editing pane. This uploads the file from your computer to the PF server (so you don't need to host the image elsewhere) and displays a thumbnail at the bottom of the post. There are restrictions on image size (in both pixel dimensions and kilobytes), and the viewer has to click on the thumbnail
PainterGuy
hello everyone,

as u know there are many image hosting websites out there. the two worth mentioning when it comes to sharing are flickr and imageshack. they both are very simple but imageshack (whch i started using some time back) is more simple when it comes to sharing. which service do you prefer or recommend??

testing if image embedding words on this forums:--
tree02.jpg

as you see to see the complete you have to scroll the window. i think yesterdya while checking out this forums i came across a post where some1 had used an image where it was set within a scrollable window. i don't remember the location of this thread because i simply stumble onto it. how do i set the image within a scrollable box? and what changes should i make to reduce the size of above image?? any ideas, please.testing whether video embedding woks:--

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-2EekZ6kCpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i wanted to embed the above mentioned video. somehow the embedding link provided by utube doesn't work here. any ideas as to why this is so?

any help would be most welcome. cheers

Computer science news on Phys.org
painterguy said:
how do i set the image within a scrollable box?

There's no way to do this in the PF forum software, as far as I know. It would have to be done by the image-hosting service that you're using. But I don't remember ever seeing any resizeable imbedded images like this on PF, myself.

what changes should i make to reduce the size of above image??

Use image-editing software on your computer to make a smaller version of the image, before uploading it to the image-hosting site. There are free or inexpensive image editors for Windows, MacOS, or Linux. Someone else will have to suggest something suitable because I use Photoshop.

testing whether video embedding woks:--

You can't use raw HTML tags here. To embed Youtube videos, click on the little TV icon in the message-editing window. I don't know if you can embed video from other sites.

jtbell said:
Use image-editing software on your computer to make a smaller version of the image, before uploading it to the image-hosting site. There are free or inexpensive image editors for Windows, MacOS, or Linux. Someone else will have to suggest something suitable because I use Photoshop.

For quick jobs, I use the resize function in Paint.

Imageshack asks you what size you want the picture when ou up load it, it's not necessary to resize it first, unless you mean to crop part of it off.

For this forum we do not allow pictures larger than 650 x 490. Anything larger skews the page.

To upload a picture to the forum all you have to do is click on the picture frame to the right of the envelope in the tool bar above (need to be in advanced mode) and paste in the url of the picture on the host site.

Note that you can also attach a picture to a post, by clicking the "Manage Attachments" button in the "Additional Options" section below the message-editing pane. This uploads the file from your computer to the PF server (so you don't need to host the image elsewhere) and displays a thumbnail at the bottom of the post. There are restrictions on image size (in both pixel dimensions and kilobytes), and the viewer has to click on the thumbnail to see the image full size.

Attachments

• tree02.jpg
    tree02.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 466
thnx everyone. it's cool then. i wud host my images here or on imageshack if there is a need. actully being a non native english speaker pictures and diagrams could make thngs really simple to explain...is there also video hosting feature within the this forums. thanks for any help i can get.

painterguy said:
is there also video hosting feature within the this forums.

I don't believe so.

Evo said:
For this forum we do not allow pictures larger than 650 x 490. Anything larger skews the page.

I believe it is 800x600 now. Zz changed the size of the pictures for photo contests.

1. What is an online image hosting service?

An online image hosting service is a website or platform that allows users to upload, store, and share their images on the internet. These images can then be accessed and embedded into websites, blogs, or social media platforms.

2. How does an online image hosting service work?

An online image hosting service works by providing users with a storage space for their images. Users can upload their images to the hosting service, which then stores the images on its servers. The hosting service then generates a unique URL for each image, which can be used to embed the image onto other websites or platforms.

3. What are the benefits of using an online image hosting service?

There are several benefits of using an online image hosting service. Firstly, it allows for easy and convenient storage of images without taking up space on your own device. It also makes it easier to share images with others, as the hosting service provides a unique URL for each image. Additionally, image hosting services often have features such as image editing and organizing tools.

4. Are there any limitations to using an online image hosting service?

While online image hosting services are convenient, there are some limitations to keep in mind. Some services may have restrictions on the file size or types of images that can be uploaded. There may also be storage limits for free accounts, and some services may charge for additional storage or features.

5. Is it safe to use an online image hosting service?

Generally, using an online image hosting service is safe. However, it is important to choose a reputable and secure service to protect your images from being accessed or shared without your permission. It is also important to regularly back up your images in case of any technical issues or the hosting service shutting down.