Cauchy Riemann Conditions Question

In summary, according to the Cauchy-Riemann conditions, the derivative of w exists and the real and imaginary parts of an analytic function must satisfy the Laplacian of both being equal to 0. This means that the gradient squared of u is equal to the gradient squared of v, which is also equal to 0.
Ed Quanta
Ok, I am told in a complex analysis book that the gradient squared of u is equal to the gradient squared of v which is equal to 0.

We know the derivate of w exists, and w(z)=u(x,y) + iv(x,y)

Thus the Cauchy Riemann conditions must hold. (When I use d assume that it refers to a partial derivative)

So du/dx=dv/dy and du/dy=-dv/dx by Cauchy Riemann

We know the gradient squared of u is equal to d^2u/dx^2 + d^2u/dy^2 is equal to d^2v/dy^2 - d^2v/dx^2

We know the gradient squared of v is equal to d^2v/dx^2 + d^2v/dy^2 which is equal to d^2u/dx^2 - d^2u/dy^2

Am I correct in assuming this? And if I am, I don't see how the gradient squared of u is equal to the gradient squared of v. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cauchy-Riemann conditions:
(a) du/dx= dv/dy and (b) du/dy= - dv/dx

Differentiate both sides of (a) with respect to x:
d2/dx2= d2v/dydx

Differentiate both sides of (b) with respect to y:
d2u/dy2= -d2v/dydx

Adding: d2/dx2+ d2u/dy2= d2v/dydx -d2v/dydx= 0.

Differentiate (a) with respect to y and (b) with respect to x and subtract to get the formula for v.

The "Laplacian" (what you are calling "gradient squared") of u and v are not just equal, they are both 0. The real and imaginary parts of an analytic function are always "harmonic functions", i.e. they satisfy
[itex]\Delta u=0[/itex] and [itex]\Delta v= 0[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, you are correct in assuming that the Cauchy Riemann conditions must hold for a complex function to be differentiable. The Cauchy Riemann conditions state that the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of a complex function must satisfy certain equations, which you have correctly stated as du/dx=dv/dy and du/dy=-dv/dx.

However, it is important to note that the gradient squared of u and the gradient squared of v are not necessarily equal. The Cauchy Riemann conditions only guarantee that the partial derivatives of u and v are related in a specific way, but they do not necessarily determine the values of the second order partial derivatives of u and v.

In fact, the equations you have written for the gradient squared of u and v are not necessarily true. They only hold if the second order partial derivatives of u and v are equal, but this is not always the case. So while the Cauchy Riemann conditions are necessary for a function to be differentiable, they are not sufficient to determine the values of the second order partial derivatives.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the Cauchy Riemann conditions and their relationship to the gradient squared of u and v.

1. What are the Cauchy Riemann conditions?

The Cauchy Riemann conditions are a set of necessary conditions for a complex-valued function to be differentiable. They state that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the real and imaginary parts of the input must satisfy a specific relationship.

2. What is the significance of the Cauchy Riemann conditions?

The Cauchy Riemann conditions are significant because they provide a way to test whether a complex-valued function is differentiable. They also provide a deeper understanding of the properties of complex numbers and functions.

3. How do the Cauchy Riemann conditions relate to the concept of analyticity?

The Cauchy Riemann conditions are a necessary condition for a function to be analytic, meaning it can be represented by a convergent power series. Analytic functions have many important properties, including being infinitely differentiable, and are widely used in mathematics and physics.

4. Can the Cauchy Riemann conditions be used to determine if a function is holomorphic?

Yes, the Cauchy Riemann conditions are a necessary and sufficient condition for a complex-valued function to be holomorphic. This means that the function is differentiable at every point in its domain and has a derivative at each of those points.

5. How are the Cauchy Riemann conditions used in practical applications?

The Cauchy Riemann conditions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve problems involving complex-valued functions, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and signal processing. They are also used in the study of harmonic functions, which have wide-ranging applications in mathematics and physics.