Boltzmann distribution and energy difference

In summary, at 2 500K there is a 99% change in N*/N0 with a 15-K temperature increase. At 6 000K there is a 98% change.
schu9600

Homework Statement

The first excited state of Ca is reached by absorption of 422.7-nm light.
• Find the energy difference (kJ/mol) between ground and excited states.
• The degeneracies are g*/g0 = 3 for Ca. Find N*/N0 at 2 500 K.
• By what percentage will N*/N0 change with a 15-K rise in temperature?
• Find N*/N0 at 6 000 K.

Homework Equations

N2/N1 =(g2/g1 )^(-∆E/kT) (boltzmann distribution equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that g* is 2 and g. is 1
The Boltzmann constant is 1.381 x 10 -23 j/K
However I'm not sure how to get the energy from this information. If someone could help me out to get me started I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After thinking about it a bit more would the energy difference just be the energy of a photon of light with the wavelength of 422.7 nm?

If someone could confirm this I'm pretty sure I could figure the rest out.

Yes, that is correct (remember to multiply by Avogadro's constant to get the energy per mole of photons, however).

Okay so I've figured out the energy to be 282.15 kj/mol

For the rest of the parts I seem to get 0 for all of them. This doesn't seem right to me. Any advice?

I've been doing N2/N1 = 3^-(282150J)/[(1.381x10^-23J/K)(2500K)]
Using this I get an answer of 0
I get the same answer with a temperature of 2515K and 6000K.

Your units need to match. If you are expressing your units of energy in J/mol then you need to use a Boltzmann constant with units of J/mol K (8.314 J/mol K). Alternatively, you could express your ΔE in terms of J and use the 1.381x10^-23 J/K value for the Boltzmann constant.

Thanks that cleared up that question. :biggrin:

What is the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is a statistical concept in physics that describes the distribution of particles among different energy levels in a system at a given temperature.

What is the significance of the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution allows for the prediction of the relative number of particles in different energy states, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of gases and other systems at the microscopic level.

How does the Boltzmann distribution relate to energy difference?

The Boltzmann distribution is directly related to the energy difference between different energy levels. As the energy difference increases, the probability of a particle occupying the higher energy state decreases.

What factors can affect the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the system, the number of energy levels, and the energy difference between the levels.

Can the Boltzmann distribution be used to predict the behavior of all systems?

No, the Boltzmann distribution is only applicable to systems in thermal equilibrium, where all particles have the same temperature. It also assumes that the energy levels are discrete and well-defined.