Am I the only one who thinks crocs are ugly?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, the author thinks that Crocs are ugly, crocs should be illegal, and that boots are a new trend.
flyingpig
I don't understand, they absolutely ugly. Why do people wear them? They are one of the most ugliest shoewear, even barefeet looks better. I mean it's okay for the typical balding middle age men wearing them, but I find it disgusting on women.

what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they're especially bad with socks.

Alive or dead?

flyingpig said:
I don't understand, they absolutely ugly. Why do people wear them? They are one of the most ugliest shoewear, even barefeet looks better. I mean it's okay for the typical balding middle age men wearing them, but I find it disgusting on women.

what do you think?

I prefer a foot be covered by any material rather than see someone's bare feet. I've seen some pretty ugly bare feet in my days. :yuck:

ArcanaNoir said:

:eek:

I think crocs are like the footwear equivalent of sweatpants in Seinfeld (from the episode "The Pilot"):

... "Again with the sweatpants?"
... "What? I'm comfortable."
... "You know the message you're sending out to the world with these sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I give up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm miserable, so I might as well be comfortable.'"
- Jerry and George, in "The Pilot"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Hbu4Z4pGI

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
I think crocs are like the footwear equivalent of sweatpants in Seinfeld (from the episode "The Pilot"):

... "Again with the sweatpants?"
... "What? I'm comfortable."
... "You know the message you're sending out to the world with these sweatpants? You're telling the world, 'I give up. I can't compete in normal society. I'm miserable, so I might as well be comfortable.'"
- Jerry and George, in "The Pilot"

Exactly.

However, crocs should be illegal and punishable by the death penalty or at least 15 years and long terms in a mental institution.

I think crocs are pretty attractive. I love a good-looking woman in crocs.

KingNothing said:
I think crocs are pretty attractive. I love a good-looking woman in crocs.

I also love a good-looking woman in crocs/sandals and socks/wearing a watermelon on their foot.

"When I see people wearing Crocs, I know immediately that we have nothing in common, and that we could never be friends or have any meaningful kind of relationship. They come in every color imaginable yet look bad with every other article of clothing ever created. The only thing that goes with Crocs is social ostracism."

It happens that I have a pair of crocs and though I rarely wear them, when I do I wear socks. I can't imagine wearing any kind of shoe without socks. Anyway, my wife got them for me, so it may be that they make me unattractive to women.

I don't notice them anymore. In fact, I'd say it has been a good 4-5 years since I've seen them being worn by a large enough percentage of the population to be noticeable. I'll have to keep an eye out for them tomorrow.

I'm not a fan and have never owned a pair. They remind me of chef's shoes.

I thought you hated crocodiles.

If I were to see Crocs worn by a stunner, I think I could look past the crocs. I know 2 very large women that wear crocs, and once you combine crocs, large stretch-pants/sweats and cankles, it's hard to see crocs in a good light. Still, if Giselle stopped to ask for directions and was wearing crocs, I don't think I would hold it against her.

EW wait a minute, people wear them without socks!? GROSS!

The new trend around here is boots. Uggs are the "it" brand and I think they are Uggly. The fact that women wear them with just about anything is part of the problem. Otherwise the boot phenomenon is not so bad, particularly all the women in variations of knee high boots. I think Nancy Sinatra left an impression.

I too thought the thread title was referring to a particular ancient reptile not exactly known for its attractiveness. As an item of footwear it is not a term I have come across before, I think I am gathering that it is just the US term for what we Brits would call sandals. The term might differ, but the fundamental fashion dilemma is the same; socks or no socks, with people in both camps as to which is acceptable and which is not, and a fair number in the camp that says that they are a fundamental fashion mistake regardless of socks.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The new trend around here is boots. Uggs are the "it" brand and I think they are Uggly. The fact that women wear them with just about anything is part of the problem. Otherwise the boot phenomenon is not so bad, particularly all the women in variations of knee high boots. I think Nancy Sinatra left an impression.

There was an occasion when I was working in Sweden in the mid 1990s and there was a particularly rum local night club that my colleagues and I tended to go to where the fashion was for women to wear perfectly glamorous outfits of the kind you would expect attractive young women to wear to a nightclub, but to compliment them with what were, essentially, pit boots. The result was incongruous to say the least, but I suppose that is exactly what it was meant to be. It reminded me, for any fellow Brits here, of a sketch that Morecambe and Wise did with Shirley Bassey where, while glamorously dressed as she belted out one of her standards, she loses one of her shoes to a set malfunction, and, as she continues to sing, Morecambe replaces it with one of his own boots. The first time you see it, the sketch is the kind of funny that leaves you with aching sides. I don’t think the Swedish women meant it to be funny. If it was meant to be sexy, then all I can say is that it was a mighty strange kind of sexy.

Ken Natton said:
I too thought the thread title was referring to a particular ancient reptile not exactly known for its attractiveness. As an item of footwear it is not a term I have come across before, I think I am gathering that it is just the US term for what we Brits would call sandals. The term might differ, but the fundamental fashion dilemma is the same; socks or no socks, with people in both camps as to which is acceptable and which is not, and a fair number in the camp that says that they are a fundamental fashion mistake regardless of socks.
Crocs are a particular brand of sandal that are fairly ugly looking. I am surprised that no one has even posted a picture of them yet.
[PLAIN]http://media.thenewschronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/croc-shoes.jpg
I've actually never noticed the open toe variety in that picture before. The closed toe version are their signature design of course.

There was an occasion when I was working in Sweden in the mid 1990s and there was a particularly rum local night club that my colleagues and I tended to go to where the fashion was for women to wear perfectly glamorous outfits of the kind you would expect attractive young women to wear to a nightclub, but to compliment them with what were, essentially, pit boots. The result was incongruous to say the least, but I suppose that is exactly what it was meant to be. It reminded me, for any fellow Brits here, of a sketch that Morecambe and Wise did with Shirley Bassey where, while glamorously dressed as she belted out one of her standards, she loses one of her shoes to a set malfunction, and, as she continues to sing, Morecambe replaces it with one of his own boots. The first time you see it, the sketch is the kind of funny that leaves you with aching sides. I don’t think the Swedish women meant it to be funny. If it was meant to be sexy, then all I can say is that it was a mighty strange kind of sexy.
I actually think women in dresses wearing Doc Martins is rather sexy. Uggs are a rather different story though, in my opinion. I think that I just don't like the style that much. In case you have not seen them here is a pic and good examples of women wearing them with anything...
[URL]http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Celebs---Uggs-ugg-boots-266152_301_329.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps more telling pictures of Crocs

[PLAIN]http://s3.nextround.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mancrocs.jpg

[PLAIN]http://stuffflypeoplelike.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/crocks.jpg

[URL]http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/409.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aGTzPlp_Iys/SDTOBTM070I/AAAAAAAAABg/oFTUj1hKNEs/s1600/CrocsDM2607_468x573.jpg[/URL]

I almost forgot about the Bush association. Egh <shudder>.

Last edited by a moderator:
collinsmark said:
Perhaps more telling pictures of Crocs

I almost forgot about the Bush association. Egh <shudder>.

At least he's wearing formal black crocs, but it definitely opens up the door for the "Croc of ..." jokes.

But lavender crocs?! For a guy?!

Crocs usually work best when for people that go to Walmart in the middle of the night in their pajamas.

I think I'm the only person that thought of crocodile skin shoes first. Then realized it was a thread about rubber footwear.

xxChrisxx said:
I think I'm the only person that thought of crocodile skin shoes first. Then realized it was a thread about rubber footwear.

Nope, you aren't the only one :biggrin:.

Actually "croc skin shoes" was my second thought. Before I read the OP, my first thought was of the living animals.

xxChrisxx said:

Crocodile skin Crocs? Now that would be stylish!

lisab said:
Nope, you aren't the only one :biggrin:.

Actually "croc skin shoes" was my second thought. Before I read the OP, my first thought was of the living animals.

Me too!

I couldn't make sense of
ArcanaNoir said:
until I went back and read the OP.

They look Dutch to me. I wonder if, instead of plastic, they could be made out of some sort of thin flexible wood. Or maybe wicker.

Some of the newer croc styles that can include "leather" tops are ok.. and in reasonable colors (black and brown). I decided to try a pair when I was having some chronic back pain (from an inflamed herniated disk)... and (surprise) was also expecting my daughter. My pregnancy was HUGE (I put on 50% more weight than "average"), I was walking a mile to/from work each day, and I had no back trouble until midway through on delivery-day (I had to eventually go to an epidural delivery to keep from vomiting due to pain). I've worn them ever since... especially since I always "baby-carried" little E... and even now that the 28 lb 2 y.o. toddler "carries herself" (aka. walks) she often still needs "momma-carry!" at the end of the afternoon.

In reasonable colors, with "leather" tops of some sort, I've actually had people (including men) complement me on my shoes... and who are then surprised to learn they are crocs.

I do, however, agree that the bright-colored all-croc-material crocs ARE ugly. And crocodiles.

flyingpig said:
They are one of the most ugliest shoewear, even barefeet looks better.

what do you think?

I agree crocs are really ugly, but I think they look better than my bare feet.

1. Why do some people find crocs ugly?

Crocs are made of a unique material called Croslite, which gives them their distinctive look. Some people may find this material unappealing or unattractive.

2. Are crocs actually bad for your feet?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that crocs are bad for your feet. However, they do not provide much arch support or cushioning, so they may not be the best choice for long periods of standing or walking.

3. Why do some people still wear crocs despite their appearance?

Despite some people finding crocs unattractive, they are still a popular choice for many due to their comfort and functionality. Crocs are lightweight, easy to slip on and off, and are waterproof.

4. Can crocs be considered fashionable?

Some people may consider crocs fashionable, as they have been seen on celebrities and in fashion shows. However, fashion is subjective, and what one person considers fashionable may differ from another.

5. Are there any benefits to wearing crocs?

Aside from their comfort and functionality, crocs also have some other benefits. They are easy to clean, durable, and are a good choice for those with foot conditions such as plantar fasciitis or bunions.