Wave packets & Fourier analysis: minimum pulse duration w/ given frequency

In summary, the shortest pulse that can be sent over a telephone line with a bandwidth of 2500 Hz is approximately 3.18 * 10^{-5} seconds. For a space probe sending a picture with 500 by 500 elements and a brightness scale with 256 levels, it would take at least 3.18 * 10^{2} seconds or 5.3 minutes to send one picture using a bandwidth of 1000 Hz.
WJSwanson

Homework Statement

I: A telephone line can transmit a range of frequencies [itex]\Delta f = 2500 Hz[/itex]. Roughly what is the duration of the shortest pulse that can be sent over this line?

II: A space probe sends a picture containing 500 by 500 elements, each containing a brightness scale with 256 possible levels. This scale requires eight binary digits. Suppose that the transmitter uses a bandwidth of 1000 Hz. (For the faint signals from distant space probes the bandwidth must be kept small to reduce the effects of electronic noise that is present at all frequencies.) Roughly how long is needed to send one picture? Note that the center-to-center separation, a, of adjacent pulses must be at least the total width of anyone pulse.

Homework Equations

I:
[itex]\Delta\omega = 2\pi\Delta f[/itex]
[itex]\Delta t \geq \frac{1}{2\Delta\omega}[/itex]

II:
[itex]N[/itex] (number of pulses) [itex]= 500 * 500 * 8 = 2.00 * 10^{6}[/itex] pulses
[itex]a \geq 2\Delta t = \frac{2}{2\Delta\omega} = \frac{1}{2\pi\Delta f}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I:
[itex]\Delta\omega = 2\pi\Delta f = 6.28 * 2.50 * 10^{3} Hz = 1.57 * 10^{4} Hz[/itex]

[itex]\Delta t \geq \frac{1}{2\Delta\omega} = \frac{1}{3.14 * 10^{4}} s^{-1}[/itex]

[itex]\Delta t \geq 3.18 * 10^{-5} s[/itex]

II:
I'm not quite sure how to approach this. I know that there will have to be 2.00 * 106 pulses per picture and that the individual pulses have to be spaced by [itex] a = 2\Delta t[/itex]. I also would imagine that I would want to use the relation

[itex]\Delta x\Delta k \geq 1/2[/itex]

by deriving

[itex]\Delta k = \frac{2\pi}{\Delta\lambda} = \frac{2\pi\Delta f}{c} = \frac{2\pi}{c\Delta t}[/itex]

or else perhaps use

[itex]\Delta\omega\Delta t = \Delta t * \Delta(\frac{1}{2\pi t}) \geq 1/2[/itex]

but I really don't know where to go from there, aside from multiplying my minimum time interval by 2 million.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I ended up figuring out part II.

Since we know that
[itex]\Delta\omega = 2\pi\Delta f = 6.28 * 10^{3} s^{-1}[/itex]

we infer that

[itex]\Delta t \geq \frac{1}{2\Delta\omega}

and since the probe sends the message at a rate of [itex]2\Delta t = \frac{t}{2.0 * 10^{6}}[/itex] we know that

[itex]\Delta t = \frac{t}{4.0 * 10^{6}}[/itex]

and since

[itex]\Delta t\Delta\omega = \Delta\omega * \frac{t}{4.0 * 10^{6}} \geq \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

we can solve for tmin:

[itex]t_{min} \geq \frac{4.0 * 10^{6}}{2\Delta\omega} \Rightarrow t_{min} \geq \frac{2.0 * 10^{6}}{6.28 * 10^{3} s^{-1}}[/itex]

thus,

[itex]t_{min} \geq 3.18 * 10^{2} s[/itex]

Or alternatively,

[itex]t_{min} \geq 5.3 min[/itex]

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized disturbance or oscillation that travels through a medium, carrying energy and momentum. It can be thought of as a group of waves with different frequencies and wavelengths that are combined to create a single, localized disturbance.

2. How is a wave packet created?

A wave packet is created by combining multiple waves with different frequencies and wavelengths. This can be achieved through the use of a mathematical function called a Fourier transform, which decomposes a complex wave into its individual components.

3. What is the minimum pulse duration for a given frequency?

The minimum pulse duration for a given frequency is the shortest amount of time required for a wave packet to complete one full cycle. This is determined by the frequency of the wave, with higher frequencies having shorter minimum pulse durations.

4. How is the minimum pulse duration related to the frequency of a wave packet?

The minimum pulse duration is inversely proportional to the frequency of a wave packet. This means that as the frequency increases, the minimum pulse duration decreases.

5. How is Fourier analysis used to determine the minimum pulse duration of a wave packet?

Fourier analysis is used to decompose a complex wave packet into its individual components, which allows us to determine the minimum pulse duration for a given frequency. By analyzing the frequency components of a wave packet, we can determine the shortest amount of time for the wave to complete one full cycle.