G10/FR4 Fiberglass Board vs Steel marine enviroment

In summary, the individual is looking for a replacement for a decaying piece of 1/4 low carbon steel in the hull of a 28 foot sailboat. They are considering using 1/2" G10/FR4 fiberglass board, which they believe will bond nicely to the hull and distribute loads well. The individual has concerns about potential downsides such as bolt and washer tearing through the material, but research shows that G10 FR4 has good tensile, compressive, and flex strength, as well as high insulation and resistance to water and chemicals. It also has a high bond strength and can withstand high temperatures. Overall, G10 FR4 appears to be a suitable replacement for the decaying steel.
sweeneyman
I was wondering if anyone knew of the potential downsides of using this material to replace a piece of 1/4 low carbon steel that is decaying and is a backing plate inside a hull of a 28 foot sailboat. I would be replacing it with 1/2" G10/FR4 fiberglass board minimum and could go to 3/4 inch if necessary. The size is a triangle approximately 2 feet on all 3 sides. This would be a backing plate to a bowsprit with anchor roller and attachment for the fore stay. This material will bond nicely to the hull which I believe will help distribute the loads. Any help would be appreciated. I was trying to compare on matweb.com but I'm out of my league on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have seen and heard of many uses like this for transoms and critical parts of boats in the past. G10 fr4 materials are a good fit in this application, IMHO, because the materials itself is made up of layers of fiberglass as most boats are. I don't think the the g10 material will decay as much as the carbon, the carbon does have a higher " organic " content whereas g10 seems to be completely synthetic ... however, I am no expert, just an observation. I did a little research and this site http://www.g10fr4.com actually has a chemical resistance chart on it that lists salt water as " no effect on this material " . I hope that helps.

Schrodinger's cat is live and dead ...

I agree with Schrodinger's point about decay which is G10 best asset as I can bond it to the rest of the fiberglass hull quite easily. This will increase its bond to the hull over that of the steel. My other concern is would a bolt and washer be more likely to rip through this material than 1/4 steel or is it more likely to bow or snap and would doubling or tripling the thickness make up for any loss? Thanks for the help

PROPERTY
DATA AREA OF
DATA G10 FR4 SHEET,
PANEL, BOARD MATERIAL
PER MIL I 27648 / 27 TPE GEE F
TENSILE LENGTH-WISE 40,000 PSI
CROSS-WISE 35,000 PSI

COMPRESSIVE
STRENGTH FLAT-WISE 60,000 PSI
EDGE-WISE 35,000 PSI

FLEX
STRENGTH CROSS-WISE 45,000 PSI
LENGTH-WISE 55,000 PSI

MODULUS OF
ELASTICITY IN FLEX LENGTH-WISE 2,700,000
CROSS-WISE 2,200,000
SHEAR STRENGTH 19,000

IZOD
IMPACT NOTCH 7
NOTCH 5.5
ROCKWELL HARDNESS (M) 110
SPECIFIC GRAVITY 1.82

WATER
ABSORPTION .062 " THICK .25 % OVER 24 HOURS
.125 " THICK .15% OVER 24 HOURS
.500 " THICK .10 % OVER 24 HOURS

DIELECTRIC CONSTANT .062 " THICK 500 VOLTS PER MIL
.125 " THICK 400 VOLTS PER MIL

DISSIPATION
FACTOR CONDITION A .025 MEGACYCLE

INSULATION
RESISTANCE 96 HOURS AT 90% RELATIVE HUMIDITY 200000 MEGA OHMS
FLAME RATING UNDERWRITER LABS UL94V-0
OPERATING
TEMPERATURE CONTINUOUS 285°F TO 210° KELVIN
COEFFICIENT of THERMAL EXPANSION CM/CM/DEG C X -5 0.9
BOND STRENGTH GREATER THAN 2,500 LBS

What is the difference between G10/FR4 Fiberglass Board and Steel in a marine environment?

The main difference between G10/FR4 Fiberglass Board and steel in a marine environment is the material they are made of. G10/FR4 is a type of fiberglass reinforced laminate that is composed of glass fiber and epoxy resin, while steel is a metal alloy. This difference in material results in different properties and performance in a marine environment.

Which material is more resistant to corrosion in a marine environment?

G10/FR4 Fiberglass Board is more resistant to corrosion in a marine environment compared to steel. This is because fiberglass is not affected by saltwater and does not rust like steel. Additionally, G10/FR4 has a protective resin layer that prevents water from penetrating and causing damage.

Which material is stronger in a marine environment?

In terms of strength, steel is generally considered to be stronger than G10/FR4 Fiberglass Board in a marine environment. However, G10/FR4 is also a very strong and durable material that can withstand high impact and stress. It is commonly used in boat hulls, decks, and other marine applications.

Which material is more cost-effective for use in a marine environment?

When it comes to cost, G10/FR4 Fiberglass Board is generally more cost-effective for use in a marine environment compared to steel. This is because the manufacturing process for G10/FR4 is less complex and requires fewer resources. Additionally, G10/FR4 does not require as much maintenance and repair as steel, which can save on long-term costs.

Which material is more environmentally friendly in a marine environment?

Both G10/FR4 Fiberglass Board and steel have their own environmental impacts in a marine environment. However, G10/FR4 is considered to be more environmentally friendly as it is made from recyclable materials and does not release toxic substances into the water. Steel, on the other hand, can corrode and release harmful chemicals into the marine environment.