Ideas for practical application of electromagnetic field theory

In summary, a student is looking for suggestions on an interesting application of electromagnetic field theory for their university presentation. They mention that the recommended options are common and they are looking for something more unique, possibly combining multiple topics. They also mention having written about mass spectrometry and enjoying the process. Another potential topic they mention is speakers/microphones and TEM electron microscopy.
Trip1
Hello,

I have to give a presentation on an application of electromagnetic field theory of my choosing, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that might be more interesting than the ones that have been suggested.

It's for a 2nd year university level physics (E&M) course, so the application needs to be applicable to that sort of material / level of understanding.

The recommended ones(which will be done by many, many students) are as follows:

-Cathode ray oscilloscope
-Ink jet printer
-Electrostatic generator
-Electrostatic voltmeter
-Magnetic separator
-Magnetic deflection
-Cyclotron
-Mass spectrometer
-Hall effect
-magnetohydrodynamic generator
-electromagnetic pump
-dc motor

Anyone have any other ideas that maybe combine a few of these topics? I've been looking online but everything i find is either already covered in the list above or is too simple

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a paper on mass spectrometry in an E&M class and I enjoyed writing about it, I thought it's a pretty clever process.

One thing that comes to mind that doesn't seem to be on that list is speakers/microphones.

TEM electron microscopy is another topic you might consider.

What is electromagnetic field theory?

Electromagnetic field theory is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and the resulting electric and magnetic fields. It is a fundamental theory that helps us understand and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in various situations.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic field theory?

Electromagnetic field theory has numerous practical applications, including in the fields of telecommunications, electronics, power generation and transmission, medical imaging, and remote sensing. It also forms the basis for technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones.

How is electromagnetic field theory related to Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. Electromagnetic field theory is based on Maxwell's equations, providing a framework for understanding and applying these equations in real-world situations.

What are some challenges in applying electromagnetic field theory?

One of the main challenges in applying electromagnetic field theory is dealing with complex systems and non-uniform fields. This requires advanced mathematical techniques and computational tools to accurately model and analyze such systems.

How is electromagnetic field theory used in the development of new technologies?

Electromagnetic field theory is often used in the design and development of new technologies. By understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, engineers and scientists can create innovative solutions and optimize existing technologies for better performance and efficiency.