Convert Angles from Sexagecimal to Centesimal System

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
In summary: The grad measure may have been less confusing or complicated for some people, but with calculators and computer programs, there's really no need to use grads these days.In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of angles from the sexagecimal system (degrees, minutes, seconds) to the centesimal system (grads). The steps involve converting the minutes and seconds to a decimal fraction of a degree, converting the degrees to grads, and then converting the decimal places to the equivalent of minutes and seconds in grad measure. There may be a typo in the last part of the example given and the use of grads is not very common nowadays.
chemistry1
How do you convert angles from the sexagecimal system to centesimal one ?

For example

63 degrees 14 minutes 51 seconds reduced to centesimal ??

Here's how it's done but I don't understand the steps...

http://postimg.org/image/4tat51y63/

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
chemistry1 said:
How do you convert angles from the sexagecimal system to centesimal one ?

For example

63 degrees 14 minutes 51 seconds reduced to centesimal ??

Here's how it's done but I don't understand the steps...

http://postimg.org/image/4tat51y63/

Thank you

What they're doing is converting the minutes and seconds to a decimal fraction of a degree, and then converting the 63.xxyy° to grads, where 1 grad = a right angle.

After the conversion to grads + fractional grads, they converted the first two decimal places to whatever is the equivalent of minutes in grad measure, and they converted the 3rd and 4th decimal places to whatever is the equivalent of seconds in grad measure.

It looks like they have a typo in the very last part, where they have 70g 275` = 70g 27.5` = 70g 27` 50`. That part at the end (50`) should be 50``, I believe.

Angle measure in degrees (°) and radians is very common, but angle measure in grads is rarely used, as far as I know. I believe it was used in Russia and/or the Soviet Union.

1. What is the difference between the sexagesimal and centesimal system when measuring angles?

The sexagesimal system divides a circle into 360 degrees, with each degree being further divided into 60 minutes and each minute into 60 seconds. On the other hand, the centesimal system divides a circle into 400 gradians, with each gradian being further divided into 100 centigrades. Essentially, the difference lies in the number of subdivisions within a circle.

2. How do I convert angles from sexagesimal to centesimal system?

To convert an angle from sexagesimal to centesimal system, you can use the formula: centigrade = sexagesimal degree * (100/360). This will give you the equivalent angle in centigrades. Alternatively, you can use online conversion tools or consult a conversion table.

3. Why are the sexagesimal and centesimal systems still used today?

Although the metric system is the standard for most scientific measurements, the sexagesimal and centesimal systems are still used in certain fields such as astronomy, navigation, and surveying. These systems have a long history and are deeply ingrained in these fields, making it difficult to switch to a different measurement system.

4. Can you convert angles directly from degrees to centigrades?

No, you cannot convert angles directly from degrees to centigrades. The two systems have different units of measurement and cannot be directly converted. You will need to first convert degrees to sexagesimal system and then to centesimal system using the conversion formula mentioned above.

5. Is one system more accurate than the other?

Both systems are equally accurate. The difference lies in the number of subdivisions within a circle, but the actual measurements are the same. It ultimately depends on the preference and convention of the field in which the angle is being measured.